Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starting precausions ???

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Iripower set is finally rebuilt and on its way back to Perrysburg, I'm not sure when the last this time this engine has been run and I'm wondering if there is something I should do before I turn the key to fire this monster for the first time in my hands.
I've allready shot each cylinder w/ fogging oil,pulled the plugs and turned engine over for a short time(5 seconds).
Should I do something special to this motor, I've heard others disguss preoilling a new crate motor.
If yes, could you describe the steps I need to follow..

Before you put the distributor back in you should prime the oil pump, and pump some oil through the lifters, cam bearings, and heads.
You will need GM part #12368084 - oil pump primer tool.
This is what it looks like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-...9951707QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43998QQcmdZViewItem

You install it into the distributor hole and engage it to the shaft of the oil pump.
With a power drill on the shaft, you run the drill to pump oil through the passages and lube all the upper passages before the engine is cranked over the first time for real.

After it's primed, you can put the distributor back in and get ready to fire it up.
Make sure your timing is close to where it needs to be, by turning the crank to TDC on the compression stroke and rotating the #1 cylinder distributor tower to point at the rotor. Once it turns over, use a timing light to set the base timing.

I'm sure there will be more suggestions, but those are two important ones off the top of my head.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom