Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starting problem for my '92

1992 start problem

I had this problem also I added the positive venting kit available in most of the catalogs I got mine from corvette central on line,it is tricky to install a lift is required and be able to work in some real tight places while looking in a mirror to locate the vent holes.you have to plug the other 2 holes which is just as tricky,I have not had any problems since.

Ok - so what is the function of positive venting? I was driving today and noticed a God awful rattle on the down stroke at around 1200 rpm coming from what I presume was under the passenger seat area although it is hard to tell from inside the car. I just sit there and think...now what??? :mad

venting

the kit is a small vacuum hose from optispark dist. vent hole to a one way check valve and moisture filter which as the car is running sucks out and traps any moisture and does not drain vacuum system while shut off.

Shake rattle & roll

Probably the mufflers hitting underneath.

Git her up in the air & take a peek.

Shouldn't be to bad

Mike

Yeah - that's what it kinda sounds like, Mike. I should be so lucky.
Shortly after my last repair I found about a 1.5 inch clamp on my driveway and was praying it came from another car.

I believe c4c5 has mentioned the benefits of positive venting earlier in this thread. I will definitely look into it. I still have an oil leak and a fuel filter to tend to. And tires. Plenty of good reasons to sweep her off her feet!:(

Yeah nothing like a good

Vacuume to keep your car runnin right!

BTW praying dosen't move metal

LOL

Mike

HI there J.
First, on the fuel system. You can use fuel injection cleaners, as they all work to some kind of extent. At the dealership, we usually add 1 bottle of 12345515 fuel system cleaner, at a full tank. This is the GM stuff, and we are only told to use this cleaner every 6 months, not more. This is due to the strength of the cleaner. Sometimes, you may have to have the injectors cleaned, however, it will take about 30 mins to perform an injector balance test, to determine if you actually need a cleaning.
On the positive ventilation, you will find that one of the biggest reasons for Optispark failure is ozone gas build up within the distributor cap of the unit. In order to prevent it, GM drilled 3 holes in the base to vent this gas. It was not enough, so, they installed a hose system, connected to the intake manifold to suck the gas out. This is what is called positive ventilation.
Once it is correctly diagnosed, I am sure that you will be fine.
Please keep us posted, c4c5:hb

jj- get the pipes welded if they are indeed loose and hitting. I can tell you from personal experience that if clams have a tendency to loosen up. I have to crawl back under mine to tighten my rt side up. :bash

oH well.

mIke

ps. California...that land of fruits and nuts.

Whoops!

"clams have a tendency to loosen up"

Only if you buy em a few drinks......

Bada-Bing

"California...that land of fruits and nuts."

Only if your crusin Santa Monica Blvd....

Bada Boom!

Sorry, I was trying not to "P" all over the place. :t

MIke

Did I miss something? Or was there a full moon.

Racer - I can assure you many of us will never know that sound.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom