Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starts sometimes...

D

drwikboz

Ok, so I'm a bit at a loss - sometimes my 81 starts, sometimes she doesn't. I've already replaced the starter... I am thinking it's the ignition switch, but is there a sure way to tell? When you turn the key to the on position, does the anti-theft relay make a buzzing/clicking sound? If not, does anyone know if there is a relay that does make a clicking/buzzing sound? Any other thoughts on what the problem might be?

It might seem silly for me to ask, but what about the battery?

drwikboz said:
Ok, so I'm a bit at a loss - sometimes my 81 starts, sometimes she doesn't. I've already replaced the starter... I am thinking it's the ignition switch, but is there a sure way to tell? When you turn the key to the on position, does the anti-theft relay make a buzzing/clicking sound? If not, does anyone know if there is a relay that does make a clicking/buzzing sound? Any other thoughts on what the problem might be?

I have had a similar situation with the ignition switch. It would sometimes NOT shut the engine. To replace the switch, you'll have to lower the steering column enough to gain access to the switch which is on top of the column.

So perhaps some of the switch contacts are not making good connection due to corrosion, dirt, or perhaps just worn.

GerryLP:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom