Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steel Half Shafts

Corvette
Sold my '89 Triple Black Convertible - 3/08
In an earlier post, JT ZR-Won wrote "...It's an early car......#365 with the steel half shafts."

I hope this question isn't considered as too simple, but I was just wondering what exactly are 'steel half shafts'? And I'm assuming that the later cars for that year had half shafts made of something else???

Thanks for any insight you can offer! :s

-J.

From my understanding, the early # ZR-1's from 1990 came with steel half shafts. These were later switched out to aluminum, but I'm not sure at what VIN# this started happening. Somebody can probably elaborate a little furthur on this........

Jay

The half-shaft was changed early in the 1990 model year starting with VIN # 800621.
:)

I spoke with Jim Ingle recently who was a Corvette Powertrain Engineer and did a lot of the develoment testing on the ZR-1s. Most of the GM performance figures you see for the various years on the ZR-1 were established by him. I asked him about the use of steel half shafts and why the switch to aluminum. This is what he had to say:

"We had difficulties staying in the EPA weight class we needed to be in to avoid paying gas guzzler tax. Of course, this was prompted by crash and bumper standards that resulted in weight increases. The aluminum axles were part of the weight reductions used." -- Jim Ingle

Rob,
Very interesting info on why they changed the half-shafts from steel to aluminum.
I always wondered WHY!! :beer

-Gordy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom