Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering box 1961

Yup, the procedure is detailed in Section 9 of the ST-12 Shop Manual; remove the drag link from the end of the pitman arm first and use a scale on the rim of the steering wheel. If you don't follow the procedure exactly, you run the risk of damaging the worm gear and/or the sector roller, and then it's rebuild time ($$).

If you're not in a big hurry, I've got a photo-illlustrated step-by-step technical article on rebuilding the C1 steering gear (with all the details on both the worm bearing and sector shaft adjustments) coming in the July issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine - will be out in about six weeks.

:beer

61 steering box

Thanks for the tip.I decided to pull out the box & make sure its ok.Any good places to send it to for reconditioning?

Thanks for the tip.I decided to pull out the box & make sure its ok.Any good places to send it to for reconditioning?

Try Corvette Steering Service (www.corvettesteering.com) . :)

Edit: Just noticed you're in Michigan - if you're in the Detroit area, call Werner Meier at Masterworks in Madison Heights, (248) 583-0590; he has a guy that rebuilds them (Morgan Chemello) - his work is what I did the article on.

beer:

If you're not in a big hurry, I've got a photo-illlustrated step-by-step technical article on rebuilding the C1 steering gear (with all the details on both the worm bearing and sector shaft adjustments) coming in the July issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine - will be out in about six weeks.

:beer

I look forward to reading that John and it will then be placed in my C1 archives. Please don't ever retire from the Corvette hobby. We need you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom