Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Box...Correct way to fill

The following was gleaned from other sources and is not from my personal experience:

Use GM#12377985 chassis lube (whitish-yellow, but NOT the same stuff as lubriplate). The lube used in many other GM steering gears (1052182) is NOT the right stuff, it's too thin and will leak. I note that Long Island Corvette sells steering gear lube, which I assume is probably the right stuff for a C2 since that's their specialty (you might want to ask before ordering from them).

The shop manual says to place the box in the same relative position as it would be when installed in the car (if the box is off the car), and to inject lube through the lowest side cover cap screw hole (actually, I believe the "side cover" is atop the box) until it "appears in other opening" (I assume it means the next higher cap screw hole).

Use a gasket sealer on the cap screws when you reinstall them.

The top cover on the gear has cast-in "Check Lube" with arrows pointing to the outboard screw - that's the "check" point; use EP chassis grease, as shown on the lubrication chart in the Chassis Service Manual (not the "special steering gear lubricant" used on earlier cars - that will leak).
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom