Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering column lock????????

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
HI

Since my 02 never had this problem l never followed this problem except remembering that you can add a steering lock bypass.

My friend has a 98 and has had this problem 3 times, this past weekend was the third time.

I believe he had it orig fixed by his dealer and when the warranty was out he had somebody fix the problem (without the bypass).

Question GM had some kind of recall but it was awhile ago and there are several different brands of column bypass's, how can l advise him?

Thanks

Alan:beer

ps l started going through the search's but there were too many of them and l could find the latest.

It depends on what transmission he has.
A4's have to get fixed. M6's can use the bypass module.

Bowling Green - We have a Problem

Hasn't GM done a terrific job with this problem?:L Let's see there was the first recall, then years of silence followed by another "selected" recall, followed by the "silent" recall. Then there was, and still is, the dealers that are as confused as the owners about how to fix the problem. Let's see if you have a 99 made after June 7th and the moon was full - refer to section 6.6.2.B in the "steering lock" repair manual.:cool

Incidentally - I took mine in several years ago when I got a recall letter. Even after the so called repair I had it lock up and I got the DIC message "remove the ignition key for 10 seconds and try again." In the end I bought the after market repair kit - which the dealer gladly installed at no charge.

Remo:cool
spring07.JPG

HI there,
GM special policy, 05081, covers all repairs to column lock on ALL c5 till Feb 29, 2008.
Allthebest, c4c5

Paul,

That's a very crisp short answer to what can only be described as one of the longest and most convoluted recalls in GM history. Both the recall policy as well as the repair methodology evolved over a protracted time period.

Remo:cool

After a lot of badgering by both the service manager and the owner of the dealership where I have my Z serviced, I agreed to let them do the recall last fall. Apparently, the 2nd recall came out last year and is suppose to be a fix to the problem. Not just a re-flash of the computer to cut the fuel off should the column lock fail. Took 2 days to do the service bacause the dash had to be taken apart. The tech was one unhappy guy. As he put it "it takes a D@#e midget to work under the dash of these cars":chuckle.

So far, so good:upthumbs.

:w
HD

My buddy is finally getting GM's attention!

Hi

He just got off the phone with GM and it seems that it's going to be worked out at least over the phone. He will be meeting with a GM rep at his local dealership.

Is there anything that he has to know so that they don't try a short cut?

Thanks

Hi

He just got off the phone with GM and it seems that it's going to be worked out at least over the phone. He will be meeting with a GM rep at his local dealership.

Is there anything that he has to know so that they don't try a short cut?

Thanks

Make sure that both him and the service manager (SM) look the car over before he leaves it and note any problems, broken, damaged, or missing items.

The day I dropped mine off, both the service manager and I looked the car over inside and out. I made them write down any damage (there are 2 blemishes that I know of and the only ones we noted) we found. I am glad I did. I forgot the keys to my '78 and had to go back the next day to get them. The dash was out of the car and the tech was under the steering column working. As I was getting the keys I noticed that the material covering the left "A" pillar was torn:mad. Guess which side the dash was sitting on???...Yep...the left side. I proceeded to the SMs office, got him by the collar and took him out and showed him the tear. The tech tried to say that the tear was already there. The tech wasn't aware that both the SM and I had looked the car over for damage the evening before. Both the "A" pillars were clean. SM calls the tech to side and talks to him;squint:. Tech owns up that the dash had hit the "A" pillar as they were removing it from the car and most likely tore the material. It was repaired before I picked it up. Thus the reason the car was in the shop for two days.

Make sure to tell him to check the car out before he leaves the dealership with it.

:w
H.D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom