Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering hose question

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
I am trying to find a diagram or photo of the proper connection for the power steering hoses from the pump to the control valve to the power cylinder. I think that the mechanic that replaced them may have mixed them up. My assembly manual is at the mechanic's shop that is working on it now. Thanks:confused

you will know right away at start up the steering wheel will whip back and forth wildly:eek:hnoes make sure your arm isn't trough the spokes Steve

Any time you open the power steering system like this you will introduce air into the system. After completing the work when opening the system I always disconnect the cylinder end from the bracket bolted to the frame. This way when you do start the car the cylinder will not move anything, remember safety first. The power steering pump on a Corvette puts out around 900 to 1000 psi. If the cylinder rod keeps moving in or out its by its self there is air in the system and or the control valve is out of adjustment. There is a little cap on the end where the hoses attach on the control valve. Pull this cover off and inside there will be a stem with a lock nut. You will need a allan wrench to move the stem and cant remember what size the locknut is. Adjusting the control valve once you get the power steering cylinder so it stabilizes the adjustment is correct.
Hope this helps,

Brian

diagram needed

Thanks for the info, I am having the control valve and slave cylinder replaced for the second time because of poor performance after the first time. I am putting in rebuilt so things can happen. I just want to make sure that all the hoses are going to and from the right places. there are two coming from the pump to the control valve and two from the control valve to the slave cylinder. Don't want to mix anything up. I have seen a diagram in one of the parts places but can't find it now.

Andy

Brian, the photo did not load until if posted this response. Thanks for the info. What about the two hoses coming from the pump?

Looks like you got you response but I have the manuals if you need any thing else.

I think the pressure and the return line have different size fittings to the connection of the control valve so making a mistake there is unlikely. The pressure line to the pump will be a threaded connection and the return line will be attached to the metal nipple above the pressure hose connection on the pump. The return line from the factory had a crimp style hose clamp on it but a good quality of hose clamp that will not cut the hose as you tighten the clamp will be sufficient as there is little pressure on the return path.
You have to be logged in to the forum to view the photos attached, that’s why it wasn’t until you sent a reply that it was available to view. That’s my understanding anyways.
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom