Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Steering Issue

Elliott

Corvette
1979 Midnight Blue Coupe
We just bought our first corvette, a 1979 Coupe, and have it in to our mechanic for several things. One issue is that the steering pulls to the right. It's not the crest of the road or a brake pad hanging up. It is a slight pull, but constant. My mechanic is thinking alignment, but says he knows second hand of a couple other corvettes that had a similar issue that alignment did not resolve. We are asking if anyone else has had problems and whether there may be another cause. One reason is that an alignment is more of a project and cost on corvettes, as I understand it. An interesting development is that my mechanic had the car on a hoist, starting the engine and the steering wheel and front tires all turned to the right on their own. The tires are wearing fine and the front end appears tight. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Welcome to the CAC.

Sounds like the control valve on the power steering needs to be centered. Have your mechanic look it up in the Corvette shop manual. It's fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it on.

Please heed the caution when making control valve adjustments....don't stick your arm thru the steering wheel to start the car, especially if the wheel is moving on its own left or right. Doesn't feel good when the wheel smacks your arm!

Hopefully a slight adjustment will solve your problem!

We needed to replace the control valve so we are now waiting for the part. I have a service manual coming which should help explain the adjustment process, if needed. Thanks for the heads-up; I imagine that would be quite painful!!

Be aware a good number of "rebuilt" valves had issues. Be sure to check it good, problems ranged from leaks to out of balance to damaged housings. The new valves usually offer better results.

WELCOME toCAC.

Another thing to think about is the rubber flex line to the front and rear brakes. I had a slight pull on my 78 that just wouldn't go away. Had the frontend checked and a brake job done. Still the ### pulling. Finally replaced the flex lines; YES, no more pulling!!!

Just something to think about.

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

A sticking brake would be easy to spot when the wheels are off the ground one should be harder to turn if thats the case.I had the same problem with the slight pull and it was the controll valve.I installed a new one and its never had such good sterring!

Changed the valve and that took care of the problem Thanks for your help!

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for reporting back. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom