Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Lock Again!

R

rsimoes

My brother's 2002 C5 has been through two recalls for the steering lock. yesterday, he called me from his base (Navy) because the steering was locked and he couldn't move the car. He disconnected the battery for one hour, but after reconnecting, it didn't help. (this had worked before)

I told him to have it towed to the closest dealer and have them remove the lock unit completely or cut the wires to it.

However, this may not be possible. Is there a way to completely eliminate this lock and have the computer not care and let the car run without codes or messages?

From what I understood the automatic cars had the lock removed, while the stick shift cars had the lock reprogrammed and had some wiring changes. His car is a stick.

He is even contemplating getting rid of the car. It has now left him standed 4 times in 38,000 miles!!

Thanks1

I haven't had a problem with mine!! But I did finely have the Recall done in Jan. and now I've gotten another in the mail this Week!!:confused

HI there,
The 04006C is to remove the steering column locking mechanism on all vehicles.
Also, as a special policy, 05081 in which they will cover all repairs and NOT charge the owner.
Allthebest, c4c5:bang

rsimoes said:
From what I understood the automatic cars had the lock removed, while the stick shift cars had the lock reprogrammed and had some wiring changes. His car is a stick.

That is true, up until recently. GM issued a service bulletin (click here)
(# 04006C) in February of this year that now calls for removing the column lock plate on all manuals as well. Start at page 5 (in the PDF that is at the bottom of the first link to the TSB) for the instructions.

I have not yet heard of anyone on this forum who has had this performed. I don't know if is is something that GM will charge you for.

There is an alternative- an electronic column lock device- aka CLB- that disables the lock and causes no codes. I had one installed last year as a preventative measure.

I think when I take mine in for service in a few weeks I'll have them perform the lock plate removal instead. There have been some questions raised about whether the CLB was a good long-term solution.

Tammy

c4c5, you beat me to it :D

I'm glad to hear it won't cost.

Tammy

Well, they fixed the vette. It cost $488! And they couldn't just diconnect the they steering lock mechanism because the computer would then not allow the car to pass 1 mph. (as I suspected) And, he couldn't talk them into doing it for free. The recall was for a different issue with the mechanism.

I will write a letter to GM. It's not possible that the steering lock breaks after two recalls and it's not covered. . .

I honestly don't know. You might try a google search.

The service tech at my dealer had one that he had ordered from a company that (I believe) is no longer in business. Possibly C5 Solutions (?)
I paid him for it and they installed it.

I would feel better with a GM solution.

Tammy

His VIN is in that recall. I sent it to him and asked him to print it out and take it to the dealer and asked them to remove the lock, as stated in the recall and not charge him for the repair. Appearantly he did not pick up the car yet. . .

Please post how it turns out for him.
Hopefully they will do the right thing.

Tammy

rsimoes said:
Well, they fixed the vette. It cost $488! And they couldn't just diconnect the they steering lock mechanism because the computer would then not allow the car to pass 1 mph. (as I suspected) And, he couldn't talk them into doing it for free. The recall was for a different issue with the mechanism.

I will write a letter to GM. It's not possible that the steering lock breaks after two recalls and it's not covered. . .
Hi there,
I would find another dealership, as this is A NO CHARGE repair, as I have posted above per GM recall 04006C and the special policy.
You probably will be reimbursed for all that.
Allthebest, c4c5

Where can I get a copy of the:

05081 - in which they will cover all repairs and NOT charge the owner

The dealer is saying that his VIN is not included in the latest recall (04006C) and that the actuator failed, not the locking plate, therefore $530.

My other brother (GM Engineer) is getting in touch with Chevrlote Customer Care to try to authorize the removal of the steering lock (they refuse to do it) and not charge anything to him.

What a fiasco!

Okay, the final result is that the repair will actually cost $530 and they will not cover it under anything.

The failed part was the part that does the actual motion of locking, that has never been involved in the recalls for the 2002 C5, according to them and they have never seen that fail.

They also refused to disable the system.

HI there,
Second, the column lock system was only in the 2005 standard shift cars.
There is NOT a column lock system in ZO6 for 2006.
I would suggest that you bring this to the next level, your regional service representative for Chevrolet.
What is being posted here does NOT make sense, in any way.
Allthebest, c4c5

I'm wondering how different the Steering lock is for the different years. (of C5's)
On my 2000 C5 (manual) the recall (01044) was originally done on 1/16/02. (They installed a new lock motor & harness kit @ no cost) I never had any problems with it, but I took it in to the dealer because of the recall cards I kept getting in the mail. (From the dealer that sold me the car).
Then just this year the lock started engaging while the car was idling (still) just before I would pull out of the driveway. (Twice in 2 days) I had been getting recall notices (a few a year) since 2002 and thought that the problem (that I never had, until now) had been fixed. I went to the dealer and asked if there was a second recall on the steering lock problem and they said yes. I left the car and had recall 04006 done. (they reprogrammed the PCM).
Then over the weekend I got a letter from GM stating that they wanted me to bring the car in for this SAME recall so they could disable the steering lock . (Completely!)
The next day the steering lock engaged right as I was pulling out of the driveway, just before I turned onto my street. I took the car (and the letter) to the dealer and this time they installed a harness kit & removed the lock plate.
I now have no steering lock at all. (on a 6 speed)
But I was not charged anything.

You ought to try to keep up with this mess over a couple years as an C5 owner of a 2000 6 speed and then a 2004 A4 . I'm still confused...Last I heard my 04 A4 was okay. Just the 04 A4 exports where subject to a recall.

If my memory servers me correctly......Wasn't the column lock a theft deterant option that we had to pay extra for....I'm sure GM will reimburse us for that further down the road :eyerole

!999 Six Speed

Took mine in to Don Moore Chevy in Owensboro Ky a month a go along with the letter and a opy of the SB. They said they had no record and the SB to remove the column lock and sent me on my way. I showed them that my column still locked when the key was off and it had failed to unlock a few months ago. This did not impress them as they could not find in their computer any recall to remove the lock. So I am just waiting for it to leave me stranded.

Cessna 182 said:
Took mine in to Don Moore Chevy in Owensboro Ky a month a go along with the letter and a opy of the SB. They said they had no record and the SB to remove the column lock and sent me on my way. I showed them that my column still locked when the key was off and it had failed to unlock a few months ago. This did not impress them as they could not find in their computer any recall to remove the lock. So I am just waiting for it to leave me stranded.

Is it a 6spd or A4? I dont believe 6spd's were included in the removal just software change.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom