Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Position Sensor / CA Smog Test

jnj

Corvette
2006 Machine Silver Coupe
Friends,
I have a code showing the steering position sensor needs attention. Apparently this code is not letting the computer clear and in California, I cannot pass the Smog Test, even though all the emissions test passed with flying colors.
Short of replacing the sensor (not an option right now) does anyone have a cheat or other option for this?
Thanks

One alternative would be to purchase the factory service manual and attempt to trouble shoot that code yourself. Sometimes codes are caused by loose wires, bad grounds or poor connections, all of which are easy for DIYs to fix.

The other "cheat" can actually be expensive, but find someone who's willing to disable that fault code test in the ECM calibration using programming software.

Problem is, the steering position sensor is a safety related system and few programmer's in their right mind are going to accept the legal liability of doing that of disabling its diagnostics.

Last edited:
Check with a smog shop to be sure, but I believe CA only cares about powertain codes for inspection purposes. Powertrain codes start with the lettewr "P" (Pxxxx); I believe yours is a "C" code… most likely C0710 or C1780. As long as there are no P codes and no CEL, you should be good to go.

His problem is that most smog stations will flunk the car if the service engine light is on and that code is turning on the light. They won't actually read the codes. The OP didn't state as such, but the assumption one can make is that this code is resetting after codes are cleared, thus, the check engine light keeps coming on.

That presents another problem in that, when you clear codes, all the OBDII readiness flags reset "no". You can't pass the smog check unless all but one are set to "yes". That takes drive time...likely longer than it takes for the steering sensor test to run, so in the process of trying to force the flags to reset, the engine light comes on, again, because the steering sensor code sets.

As I said before, the solutions are, if the problem is wires and connections, to repair as necessary, or, if it's the sensor itself, replace the part or, if someone is willing to reprogram the ECM, disable the test for that fault code. I don't recommend doing that because, then you don't know if the sensor fails and it is needed for the ABS and SES to work properly.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom