Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering pump pulley problem

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Yesterday I found a problem with my steering pump.
After I rebuild the pump I reinstalled the pulley using a normal press no problem so far. I think I pressed the pulley to come even with the axle front without any excessive press force. But after I installed the pump I noticed the pulley no being in line with the crankshaft pulley. So I shimmed the pump between the pump bracket and the engine so the intire pump moved a little forward. But it still isn't enough the pulley still needs to move a little 1/8 to 1/4" to the front. Here is the problem, I found out the alternator beld is now touching the front of the ps pump... So with the shims the pump is already to much to the front and the pulley still needs to move a little more. And yes I have the right pump, pump pulley, bracket and engine. :)

Is it possible to move the pulley a little to the front with the removal set or is it only a tight press fit at the end of the pump axle?

Greetings Peter

You can use a GM Saginaw power steering pump pulley puller to move the pulley forward, but make sure you don't have the pulley reversed.

If the pulley was installed correctly, you should not have to shim the pump not move the pulley forward on the pump shaft.

I rebuild the pump myself with the pulley correct on it (snout to the front for the pulley remover) the pulley is also flush with the axle like stated in the service manual. Things that are differend on my 81. All pulleys are powdercoated so this could mean the crankpulley is maybe 1 or 2 mm more forward then original. Steeringpump bracket is also powdercoated so the pump is also a little more forward. When I have the time I'll take a picture of the problem. I have a backup new steeringpump in the box so I'll look at that for any differences.

I'll also order the pulley remover :)

Greetings Peter

The pulley remover I have is the GM J-tool which I got from Kent-Moore.

Here some pictures.

IIMG_0001.jpg

IIMG_0002.jpg

IIMG_0003.jpg

IIMG_0004.jpg

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. But the PS pump is about 6mm to the rear compared to the crank pulley as you can see on the last picture. Any help is welcome :)

Greetings Peter

Peter,I don't see a reason for the misalignment,but you could put a washer or 2 on the pump side of the bracket to help the belt alignment....

I was thinking the same thing Bill :)
But I'm still hopening something is just wrong in the picture and it could align just fine without using washers.

Greetings Peter

I don't see anything wrong in the pic...
is the pulley originally from the vette?????
I suppose the bolt holes could have been crushed in a little?
from tightening them up....but they look like they go thru the body of the pump,
and I can't imagine that they would crush that easily though.....or put a washer behind the pulley itself????

It's the correct pulley, right (new) pump, no crushed brackets or things. That is why I don't get it. Of course I can correct it with the washers (they are removed in the pictures). But it a OEM style pulley would excist that is 1/4" more to the front that would also help me. I also checked the internet for similar problems and I'm not the only one. But every problem should have a solution :)

I could slide the pulley on about half way on this pump before using the install tool, so I don't want to risk ofsetting the pulley to much on the pump and loosing it at 60mph.

Greetings Peter

Peter,I don't see a reason for the misalignment,but you could put a washer or 2 on the pump side of the bracket to help the belt alignment....

I had the same problem on my '78. I installed two washers between the 2 mounting bolts on the bracket and the block. This angled the pump for a straighter line.
Gary

I had the same problem on my '78. I installed two washers between the 2 mounting bolts on the bracket and the block. This angled the pump for a straighter line.
Gary

Thanks, I did the same a few weeks ago. It's in a straighter line and making less (no) noise when reving the engine.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom