Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Wheel repairs

582Boat

Corvette
1999 convertible, 2010 C6
Some time ago I read a thread reporting on repairing a very beat up, sun baked, dry and checked steering wheel on a 1985-1988 Corvette, using black shoe polish after sanding very lightly and repeating the procedure several times. I wish to say it worked and made the steering wheel almost new again except for slight marks. I must have put on five or six applications of the polish and buffed after doing the light sanding, I sure appreciate the guy that started the idea. :) :D :upthumbs :) I used this procedure on a 1987 Convertible.

Well, it might be too late, but before and after pictures would be nice.

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, BUT WHAT SIZE SANDPAPER AND WHAT KIND OF POLISH DID YOU USE?

C/O ROCKYQ
CHECKERED FLAG CORVETTE CLUB
ANNAPOLIS MD.

Steering Wheel Repair

My steering wheel on my 1987 Convertible Corvette was checked and very ruff to the feel, almost like it had been in the Florida summer sunshine. I started out with # 220 grit then finished with # 400, using a very light touch and then applyed KIWI BLACK shoe polish. I probably applyed six to eight applications and buffed between. You will be proud of the outcome. Go for it.

THANKS, I USED THE KIWI WAX TODAY NOT THE SANDPAPER, AFTER APPLYING 3 TIMES IT LOOKS GREAT, THANKS AGAIN

If you spit on it, you get a better shine.:L :L

If the wheel is peeling, it helps to use a razor and trim the little tags of leather which are lifting off the wheel prior to dying it with leather die. Apply the leather dye (several coats while allowing it to sink in and dry between them and then buffing before applying the next coat). Then lightly sand the wheel and apply several coats of polish (Kiwi works well) and be sure to buff them well between coats also. Once the final coat is on, buff it out with some of the old lady's used panty hose.

Not only will it look almost like new, the polish won't come off on your hands in hot weather, but you can also stop using an air freshener.

:rotfl

Seriously, once you do this, be sure to continue to condition the leather occasionally with a good brand of leather conditioner. Apply it at a time which will allow it to sit for several hours before you drive the car so that the wheel won't be oily to the touch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom