Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steeroids Going In Today - Finally

73BB

I finally got a day off and I'm going to install this kit today after having bought it almost a month ago.

I've heard so many good things about it that I cannot wait any longer to get it in!

Talk to ya' all later.

Keep us posted. I rebuilt my front end and am a little disappointed with the steering play. I am going to have a pro look it over and if he talks steering rebuild, I will give this option serious thought.

Bob

Bob- When you rebuilt your front end did you replace or rebuild your control valve.After mine was rebuilt it made a big difference.Like you though,I am watching this steeroid deal quite closely.That rack and pinion setup would be the way to go.

Dave

So far their have been only a couple of minor problems:

1) The main bracket for the R&P needs a little grinding to clear the bellows on the R&P - no big deal.

2) The high-pressure hose was incorrect - I have e-mailed them about it.

I had to put it away until the hose is dealt with :(

I even had an appointment for an alignment tomorrow :(

Dave,

We did rebuild the control valve. I feel like the steering gear has too much play. We adjusted it down but then couldn't get the return you're suppsoed to have. When we got the return, I felt like it had too much play again.

It may just be me. I've gotten used to the R&P on my Acura.

Bob

I hear you Bob.Its tough going from rack and pinion to the old steering gear setup.I do the same thing and am constantly feeling for play in the wheel.

Dave

Dont go crazy with the stock worm gear steering.I replaced every steering component and I still have play. It sucks. Thats the one thing that I dont like about the car, steering. I WILL put the rack & pinion in eventually. Ill do it when I get the front composite spring kit.

It turns out that the power steeing control valve ball joint is where the play is. I wish I had known about the steeroids kit 2 years ago. R&P steering is cool, its like a go cart

It's all in!

It's GREAT!

No play - what so ever!

Better feel.

Less mess, less parts, less weight.

Problems: Some grinding, getting a hose made, and my frame/align man says that it introduces some bump-steer due to the positioning of the rack itself.
It's minor when compared to the problematic stock set up.

It drives great! Thats what matters to me.

congrats 73 BB

I like the looks of that kit as it appears to be at clean install. But what about that bump steer? That can be a bad thing in its self. Did you notice it? or did the tech just suggest the possibility?

Thanks for the input so far and I hope it works out to be a great add-on for us shark guys!

The fellow that does my alignment uses the old-school tools - no computers. He hooked up a gauge that spanned across to the inner sidewall of each front tire, then he got hold of a bumper support or something and bounced the front end up and down. I could see the movement on the gauge as he explained it to me. He increased the caster to make up for some of it and he got it under control. The stock system has it's own problems so I think that in the long run this will be the best choice.

The kit is nice and it does clean the front end up quite a bit, you remove the entire steering system and replace it all with a few brackets and the R&P.

I have driven it on some familiar roads near my home and all I have noticed are the improvements, if there is any bump-steer going on I do not feel it.

I have this one safe spot where I come to complete stop and light the tires up while turning right at nearly full throttle and with the old set up it would get away from me because of the truck steering, now I can hold on to it easily.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom