Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steeroids Install

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I will be installing a Steeroids Rack assembly on a buddies 71 convertible in the coming weeks.

I will upload pics to this thread for interested on lookers.

I pulled the engine on the car to take care of some oil leaks, and to gain more than enough extra access to remove the old steering components.

I located a 71 small block Vette power steering pump bracket, and picked up a pump at NAPA. This should do the trick. Now I need a pulley and we will be off to the races.

Here is a pic of the motor detailed up thanks to several hours of cleaning and sealing, and the new power steering pump system.

Chris- I'm interested in seeing the install, plenty of pics and your thoughts overall as well. I won't be doing it for a long time but it is one thing I have considered doing.

Just wondering how you finsihed those LT-1 valve covers. Did you polish them up to that finish, or were they sprayed with some sort of alunminium finish paint?

luvmy73 said:
Just wondering how you finsihed those LT-1 valve covers. Did you polish them up to that finish, or were they sprayed with some sort of alunminium finish paint?

That is simply a paint called "steel wheels" with clear coat applied.

Paint named "steel wheels" ?

Where do you get that paint Chris?

Re: Paint named "steel wheels" ?

M&W's72vette said:
Where do you get that paint Chris?

Virtually any auto parts store. The trick is putting the 500 degree clear coat on top for the super fresh look.

It came today! Nice looking stuff.

I am knee deep in just getting all of the motor back in the car, so no time to play with it.

More later.

Here is the rack virtually ready to go.

All the parts are new/rebuilt and very nice. So far, I am impressed with the overall kit.

If there is anything I have had a problem with, it is this next part. The conversion is more or less to convert an existing power steering car to a rack assembly. The kit uses the stock mounting locations for the factory steering gear box, idler arm, and the power assist ram rod mount.

Because this was not a power steering car to begin with, I had a devil of a time getting the support bracket to mount where the power assist rod mount bolts. There is normally a stud plate popped into the frame that will hold the bolts in place. You have virtually no access to the bolts to put a wrench on them and get a good torque.

Here is a pic of the under side.

I hope to make big progress on it Monday....and maybe even fire it all up and see how it works (pending getting it to the exhaust shop to put new pipes behind the newly ceramic coated headers.

The steeroids makes the old steering hardware look ancient! I bet the 71 handles nice when you are done.

Now this is nice! Gone is the old clunky heavy ugly gear box, and it its place.....just open the photo to see.

that's one thing I don't like about a rear steer setup, the messy input shaft solution. Also, steeroids is a center take off rack, I'm looking to find an end take off rack that I can hopefully install as front steer. Problem is, either the spindles have to be reversed. There's a few"problems", the calipers turn from leading to a trailing position, the sway bar links are in the way. There are benefits though, you can install a much straighter, if not straight input shaft (need to notch motor mount) and with an end take off rack it's possible to eliminate all bump steer.

headers

69MyWay said:
Now this is nice! Gone is the old clunky heavy ugly gear box, and it its place.....just open the photo to see.

Hey Chris, you have a part # on those headers?

Chris,

Any final word on the Steeroids install? I'm giving this serious consideration for the coming winter and would like to know how difficult the job really was, and how good the final outcome was.

Thanks,
Steve :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom