Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steeroids Rack & Pinion? Any one tried it?

I've heard so much abput this kit in every vette place that I don't have anything else to say but GET IT, it's simple to install and is a good system, what else could you ask? A naked chick with it?:D
Paul

Paul, I don't think thats too much to ask... naked chicks are :cool !!!

Frank

Hey Tyla, I'll be real interested to see how you come out on the R&P set-up. I have a rack (Firebird 1LE) sitting in my garage, but the tie-rod ends seem to be too long. I need to measure them against a C4 Corvette and see if that will be the cure. I was thinking of using Flaming River's products for the connection to the column.

--Bullitt

Saginaw rack and pinion

Just bought the exact rack sold in the steeriods package for $10, yes TEN dollars complete.
Here is a link if you would like to compare the steeriods ad with the pictures.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1831034053&r=0&t=0

Ok let's see,
steel plate and tubing - $6
Rack $10
Aluminum Steering u-joint assembly from BMW 3 series $12
Misc fittings and shop supplies $5
Gold plating of steering rack $1200

Hey that steeriods rack is a good deal!

DARNITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had my salvage donor 97 Grand Am haulded to the scrap yard last week. ABout the only thing I did not remove was the rack. I thought the Steeroids pic looked like a N body unit.

Oh well, live and learn.

You see, I thought they were just marking up the price. I mean, even remanufactured racks are sitting at $250 from the parts store. I wish they would sell the kit without the rack, so I could avoid the hassle of creating mounts. So Redmist, what type of material are you using for the mount? Stock stuff from the Pontiac or something stronger?

--Bullitt

Bullitt I'm just using 1/8 inch structural flats and 1/16 structural square tube and my trusty MIG welder. I send you a picture when I'm done. I might have my buddy TIG weld copies in 7075 T6 aluminum if I can make them simple enough. The steeriods ones look exessively bulky probably for legal reasons.

I can't wait to hear more about it, Redmist! I've been dying to just chuck out the old tech and bring my ride around somewhere near the past few years. Especially since it will give me more working room for the headers. Keep us abreast of all the challenges you encounter. This is something I think we're all crazy for! :D

--Bullitt

Example

I know this ain't a C3 but believe me the original steering box, arms etc were even more rube goldberg than the vette's. Point is here is what to strive for in the install.
Notice the rack arms are parallel the lower control arms and have similar pivot points. If you can't achieve this get as short a rack body as possible so the arms will be as long as possible. Objective => as little change in steering angles as suspension compresses and releases.

Total cost $50.

Click on the little camera in the thumbnails column for the "product" rack and pinion.

http://www.titaniumfasteners.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=36151a696a084cf3b3bde1249d987215

The c3's rack is getting installed this winter. Having way too much fun driving it and getting tickets of all sorts to take it out of service. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom