Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stereo bracket cover thing??????

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
I am going to install an in-dash CD player/AM-FM stereo (non Bose) on the '91 but I don't know where to get the plate that will cover the area where the larger stock cassette player resides in the dash.

So does anyone know where I can get one of those plates or does it need to be fabricated?

I'm assuming that I don't need to be more specific on what i'm looking for.
Stock stereo: large and square
Aftermarket stereo: thin. about half as tall.
therefore the rest needs to be covered ;)
Late model C4 interior. 1991

Thanks. Any info would be fantastic,
Spiderman :w

Aftermarket Adapters

Try Techni-Car of Orlando Inc. They had some custom installation plates in the past. They also have aftermarket direct replacement sound for vettes.
Tom

Thanks Tom.:D I'll look 'em up in the phone book.

Has anyone out there replaced their stock radio with a skinnier aftermarket one?

I bought one from Dave Smith, riskit@bellsouth.net he has an audio shop in Atlanta. the kit was $20.
I have attached a picture of it in my 89 With my newly finished 1991 Dash.

Also there is a TSB for changing the radio in a vette if the SYS light flashes.

Below is info from Dave off the Corvette Forum

If the SYS light flashes after installing an aftermarket headunit, install 2 1000 ohm (1Kohm) 1/2 watt resistors. One between the purple/white wire and 12 volts switched, and the other between the grey/black wire and 12 volts switched.

Here is a scan of the TSB
TSBDoc.1.JPG
TSBDoc.2.JPG
TSBDoc.3.JPG

Im also trying to install a aftermarket cd player. I got a wiring harness to plug right into but i cannot find the main connection anywhere. I just about took the whole dash off. The wires that plugged into the bose stereo dont fit the harness. Does anyone know where the main connector is or does anybody have a wiring chart for the bose gold stereo. buy the way i have a 1990. thanks for any help.

I just used the those 3M Scotch Loks or what ever they are called. You will also need to look under the Passenger side of the dash. This is where the actual Radio Receiver is located. I would scan you pictures, but my scanner died and I have not replaced it yet. I would Suggest getting a Service manual for the connections

This is driving me crazy

Tom, thanks again for the Techni-car info. Stopped by there. Apparently nobody actually makes a mounting kit for the 90 - 96 cars because a majority of them had Bose radios (mine doesn't :mad ) and there has been no demand for an aftermarket installation bracket. Story of my life! :D
They'll make one and install it with the radio, but they said it would be atleast $120. for parts and labor :eek :eek :eek Thats almost what I payed for the CD player alone.

Jeff, I appreciate the heads-up on the SYS code troubles that may pose an issue down the road. :D
????3M Scotch Loks???? You lost me there. :confused Is the standard Delco (non-Bose) Receiver not all one unit?

Still looking for a mounting plate. I know they have to be out there. ;help

Spiderman

Keep Looking

I did the same thing last weekend, bought a JVC CD, AM/FM Radio and added Kicker speakers for my 94 coupe. The store just looked in their computer (whatever program it was) and found an adapter for the Vette, cost $17.95. Plugged right into the original hook-ups, bolted-up with a cover plate that fills in the rest of the space.

Not to bad for us folks that don't/didn't have Bose.

Don't Give Up and Don't move too fast.

Dale

Hey Dale,

What store? Is it local? National chain? Store phone # ?

:D :D :D
Spiderman :_rock :w

Techni-car adapters

HMMM ?, Man, they sure are proud of thoes plates. $120 for making an adapter sounds a little expensive. It was a while back so guess the ones I was shown must have been custom built for future use. Sorry, Didn't intend to send you one a wild goose chase.
Tom

I just went to a local stereo shop in town and they made a adapter plate for my 1990 for 20 dollars, but i ran all of the wiring.

i just put a new cd player in my 88 and you can buy an adapter plate here for about 8 bucks. let me know if u want one.

Hey Spiderman

Everyone has good ideas. The outfit I used was called Electronics 2000, but may well just be local. However, the fact that electronic/stereo stores are using computers for harware items means that there are probably many who may have on hand or access to adapters to fit aftermarket stereos/CDs to the original Vette harness.

I bought a JVC system and have one slightly annoying feature. The thing does not shut off until the car door is opened. Kind of weird but I'm not complaining as I spent $179 versus $300-500 out of the Vette catalog stores.

If you're buying "after market", shop around until you find what YOU want.

Being OLD, slow, and poor, I've got to use "best affordable" rather than "nothings too good for My Vette", just to be able to enjoy this fine machine.

Best of Luck!

Dale

Thanks to all for info. Every bit helps.

I'm in the process now of emailing aftermarket manufactuers to try and find my plate.

Dale, It's standard from the factory that power will still be supplied to the stereo and power windows for 10 to 15 minutes (can't remember how long) when the engine is shut off as long as the doors are not opened. Setup that way in the harness. All that info is in your manual if you want to read it. :D

:_rock :w Spiderman

Spiderman,
Look at my first reply.. the first line states where I got an adapter kit for a 1991 dash.. it will work for 1990-1996.
I also included a picture...

and yes all Bose and NON-Bose vettes had the Control head in the center and the Receiver either on the Passenger side or the one of the rear compartments depending on year.

As for the Scotch-Loks.. they are the plastic things that slide over a wire then you add the pigtail wire you need and crimp it together.. I have also called them Safety Splices.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom