Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sticking door handle

Offbeat Octane

Corvette
1977 Metallic Blue Coupe
So thought i had a problem with a bad door spring, so i ordered an ecklers replacement spring. While installing it i noticed my old spring seems fine, rather the handle rubs its housing and gets stuck partway down. How should i fix this? adjust it or go at it with a dremel tool? Can i adjust it?

Thanks!!!
Chad

New handle. :) Sounds like yours is worn out, sloppy in the hinge area, allowing it to rub. You can grind on it, but I'd get a new one. Chuck

College student gonna try to grind it first... If that doesn't work how much of a hassle is it to replace the door handle??? My interior door panels are attached to the door somewhat bubba style by the previous owner.

Chad

If you want a quick easy way to pop the handle back into place carry a tie wrap with you. The ribbed edge should grap the flap and pull it back up.

I've got new handles on my 68 and have had to do this a few times.

I also found that on the 68 with those one-year only door handles, that there is no reason for me to ever touch the flap itself. I just put my fingers at the top of the door ( at the whiskers ) and use my thumb to push the door button.

No fingerprints too!

Rick

College student from A2 MI - you must be a Spartan! The door handle can be had on ebay for like $20, not that bad to replace. Take off the inner door panel, and two 7/16 nuts on the bottom of the handle hold it on. The linkage has a little 'Jesus clip' on it - long needle nosed pliers and small hands - not that big a deal. If you're worried, take a digital pic before you take it apart so you know what it has to look like when it's done :gap Good luck!

Craig

Ive got some advice.When installing these door handles make sure to just snug them up,dont tighten too tight.For some reason Ive had many of them rub on the housing if they are installed tight.Most of the time if they are just snug they will work fine .Try loosening the one on the car now and see if this helps.If not buy a new one and only snug it up.

Offbeat Octane said:
Spartan??!!! lol, Wolverine :D Go Blue! :upthumbs
Thanks Everyone guess i'll start hunting for some handles.
Chad

Sorry, Chad - GO BLUE indeed! Tell Red Berenson he has fans in PA. Paintdaddy could be on to something, my door handles were only 'snug' when we tok them off to paint. . . Look on ebay under 'c3 corvette' You should be able to find them. Good luck and Go Blue!

Craig

If you do replace the handle, don't go cheap. The bargain basement replacements have very poor quality pivot points and return spring and fail frequently, possibly leaving you unable to open the door. Spend the extra bucks and get the better quality part.

craig32 said:
Sorry, Chad - GO BLUE indeed! Tell Red Berenson he has fans in PA. Paintdaddy could be on to something, my door handles were only 'snug' when we tok them off to paint. . . Look on ebay under 'c3 corvette' You should be able to find them. Good luck and Go Blue!

Craig

Lol, i'll do so the next time i run into him. And have had no problem finding handles, it just has to wait till the next check!
:W I think i need to ask for a raise to fund my newly adopted corvette addiction. :W

Chad

You'll also need one of those extending pen type magnets, for when you drop the stupid little clip into the door.:ugh

SInce you have the handle out, take the thumb piece out, clean the area that it slides into as well as the thumb piece with 000 (triple ought) steel wool. Don't go crazy with this - it is still chrome that you are rubbing with steel wool. A lot of times you get dirt, grit or bumps in the chrome that keep it from returning to the normal position. The replacement handles don't look as nice as the originals so if yours is OK, I would stick with it.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom