Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Still have factory oil cooler questions

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
If someone out there has one of the factory-optional oil coolers for 86-91 Vettes (RPO KC4), I'd appreciate some help... I'm trying to retrofit one to my 86, which is the first year they were an option. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the aluminum pipe from the cooler itself connects to. If anyone could write a description or snap a quick picture of the fittings or something to give me half a clue, I might be so motivated as to buy them a 6-pack of their favorite fermented grain beverage or something :)

I know *SOMEONE* must have one of these... towards the end of the 80s, my Black Book says that nearly 80% of the cars made included this option from the factory...
Thanks...
[RICHR]

Oil Cooler

Hi Rrubel,
I don't have an oil cooler but am interested in retrofitting one to my 86. Do you have a parts list of GM part numbers for this retrofit? How much did it cost etc.

I've just gotta get my internet connection hook-up in my garage; all my books are there now, and the computer is in place, but this running back and forth to find answers is for the birds.

I can't find an answer for you now on the cooler lines, but I'm sure I'll find something (sometime ;)). I have the cooler on mine, but I can't develop a mental picture of it at the moment, sorry Rich. :eek:

_ken :w

Re: Oil Cooler

janciello said:
Hi Rrubel,
I don't have an oil cooler but am interested in retrofitting one to my 86. Do you have a parts list of GM part numbers for this retrofit? How much did it cost etc.

Argh. Looks like my reply didn't make it, so I'll try again.

I bought my oil cooler from a Corvette 'recycler' for $60. He unfortunately didn't send me all the fittings I need, and is rectifying that, so I can't fully install it yet. I believe the OEM kit new is about $250, but also probably comes with installation instructions :eyerole . It was RPO KC4 for 86-91 (ie, L98) C4's so you might be able to drop into a Chevy dealer and see if they can order you one as well.

The kit consists of a fitting that replaces a bolt in the lower engine block right in front of the oil filter, a big cylinder that screws to the oil filter pipe (and the filter then attaches to the cooler, about 3" lower than before), a couple of hoses, and a really curvy piece of aluminum pipe that fastens to I-don't-know-where-yet.

I talked briefly to Hib Halverson, who mentions that for normal non-extended race applications, the OEM cooler is decent - but if you're running serious races in the heat, something a little more robust is needed.

HTH.

[RICHR]

Factory Oil Cooler

Hi rrubel

I have an 87 Convertible with the Factory oil cooler. right now I have it up on stands doing a trans mod. I'll snap a picture tonight and e-mail it. As I recall , there is a pipe that crosses over under the oil pan and tees into the radiator hose piping.

DJS

Re: Factory Oil Cooler

DJS said:
Hi rrubel

I have an 87 Convertible with the Factory oil cooler. right now I have it up on stands doing a trans mod. I'll snap a picture tonight and e-mail it. As I recall , there is a pipe that crosses over under the oil pan and tees into the radiator hose piping.

DJS

Ooh ooh ooh! Crosses under the oil pan! That may be the part I'm missing! A picture would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks!

Many thanks to David Spain (DJS) who emailed me some pictures of his car's oil cooler setup. They should give me enough to work from. Dave, next time you're in my area, I owe you one... :beer
[RICHR]

86 was not the first year for the oil cooler. My 85 has the cooler and it is listed on the RPO sheet under the cover in back.
I really have not paid it much attention except for the hose thar takes off from where the filter is screwed in.
Been spending more time trying to get the heater vacuum valve to quit leaking.

Eagle85C4 said:
86 was not the first year for the oil cooler. My 85 has the cooler and it is listed on the RPO sheet under the cover in back.

Interesting! Both the Corvette Black Book and GM's parts database shows the cooler as 86-91 only.
[RICHR]

Glad the pictures helped. They usually do over just an explanation. I noticed in taking the pictures that the system is a complete loop, and not tee'd into the heater hose. From the oil cooler the route is a hose to the Al. pipe then a hose from the pipe to one of the heater pipes. Then a hose from the heater pipe to the Throttle Body completing the loop.

Well Sir, my 85 has it and listed on the build sheet is the code for it, KC4. I have not looked to see when the car was built...I wonder if it was made in late 85 and the cooler was added in preparation for the 86's. The more I look this car over the more I find that makes it a bit special. Got to love them....

Eagle85C4 said:
Well Sir, my 85 has it and listed on the build sheet is the code for it, KC4. I have not looked to see when the car was built...I wonder if it was made in late 85 and the cooler was added in preparation for the 86's. The more I look this car over the more I find that makes it a bit special. Got to love them....

Don't get me wrong - wasn't doubting you for an instant. Just found it curious (and rather cool) that your car contradicts the publications I have. There's always an exception to every rule...
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom