Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Still no speedometer

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Hey all, while replacing the engine, I replaced the speed sensor and the green gear behind it that was missing when I took it apart. Took it out for a short spin around the block and I noticed I still dont have an operating speedometer. Any ideas or suggestions on this?
Thanks in advance :w

Do you have a scantool? You might be able to see if the ECM is seeing it. If so, it is either the wiring or the speedo

I replaced ...the green gear that was missing
Did you notice if you had a drive gear on the output shaft?
If the green driven gear was missing, the drive gear might be gone also

If thats the red gear, yes, that is in there...just baffled by a couple of things, although after finding the last engine was a 305, nothing should surprise me. The speed sensor that was in there looked liked someone tried using a can opener to get it out, then to find out there was no green gear in there was also a treat. So, its a new speed sensor, new gear, a couple of months back, I cleaned the contacts for the digital gauges, so just stumped now!

Also am getting code 24...FSM states if speedometer is working go to next step..I didnt see anything for "if speedometer isnt working"!

Just a thought
Is the red gear on yours ( green in pic below ) locked on the output shaft.
If someone was playing around in there ( seeing as green gear was missing ) they may not have installed the spring clip properly that engages the gear on the shaft ( or the clip may be broken ) in which case it would not spin with the output shaft.
If you pull the VSS out you should not be able to spin the red gear ( with a thin screwdriver ) unless DS turns

speedogear.jpg

Also am getting code 24...FSM states if speedometer is working go to next step..I didnt see anything for "if speedometer isnt working"!

Sounds like you're reading the diags flow chart on the right page? See text descriptions on the left page, and note any reference to speedo not working...

Sounds like you're reading the diags flow chart on the right page? See text descriptions on the left page, and note any reference to speedo not working...

Ok, will take another look Schrade. Hope to get under it this weekend, got a feeling the yard and the missus have different plans though.
BTW..great cutaway shot vetteoz, thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom