Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stingray

I can't remember where I read this, but in 1968 when the C3 hit the market, the "Sting Ray" moniker was noticeably missing... likely due to the fact the the car was fashioned to resemble the Mako Shark as mentioned above. I suspect that the term Sting Ray was given to the mid year cars because of their visual design as well.

Customers were upset that the name sake had been dropped from the car, so Chevy responded by putting the label (Stingray) back on.

It may have been more appropriate to label the car either "Shark" or "Mako Shark", but as they say... the rest is history.

Incidentally, online I've seen some little chrome shark shaped emblems that one can replace the "Stingray" emblems with on the fender of their C3. Not my thing, but they look pretty cool.
Do you have any idea why it was dropped again in 77?

Yeah, one of the genius accountants who began running General Motors found out they could save 14¢ per car (7¢ per side), so away the Stingray emblems went. :eyerole

And, that is pretty much the story of the Big Three over the last 30 years. The accountants are running everything. :ugh

Wiki said:
Rick Wagoner received a bachelor's degree in economics from Duke University in 1975 and an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1977.

After Harvard, he joined GM as an analyst in the treasurer's office. In 1981, he became treasurer of GM's Brazil subsidiary and later served as managing director.

In 1992, he was named GM's chief financial officer, in 1994 he became executive vice president and/or president of North American Operations, and in 1998 he was named president and chief operating officer. He became president and chief executive officer in June 2000 and was elected chairman on May 1, 2003.

During his reign, GM shares have plummeted from around $60 in June 2000 to as low as $2.79 in Nov 2008, a loss of approximately 95%.

Anyone see any "car-guy" credentials in all that? Oh well, the accountants are doing a fine job. How many accountants does it take to design a Pontiac Aztec? Answer? No answer required. :eyerole

That's weird.

I wonder if it really is a bad thing to custom-install the Stingray emblems on a 79? As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Stingray and non-Stingray C3 like some "car pro's" tend to think. I remember I looked at a 77 before I bought this one and although the seller was really wrong with his facts (he thought that all straight rear window C3's worn Stingray emblem, incl. 77) he told me that the particular car was a real Stingray, not like the newer ones :D

I don't know where Wikipedia gets the facts from but under Corvette it says C3 Generation (1968-1982 Stingray).

That's weird.

I wonder if it really is a bad thing to custom-install the Stingray emblems on a 79?

A bad thing? I guess it depends whether or not you're trying to keep everything authentic/original. For that matter, is it a bad thing to put a 502 in a Corvette... ZZ4, crate engine, Kiesler 5 speed? You get the idea!

My opinion - go for it. It's your car for goodness sakes! :cool

With respect Wikipedia, the information you'll get is only as authentic as those who contribute / post.

Ralph

Therein lies the question. As suggested, perhaps it was the ever popular "bean counter" who made the call. Or maybe they were trying to "clean up" the appearance. A small change here (omit "Stingray" emblem), small change there (color the "A" post black rather than chrome) ... who knows?

I think if I owned a car that didn't come with the emblem I wouldn't add one. Then again I like to maintain a stock appearance. If I was modifying it, I might throw it on there.... or even throw on the little shark shaped emblems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom