Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Aluminum intake or Aftermarket ??

Shawn's 78

Corvette
1978 Beige L48 4sp
I want to know what you all think: :w

I want to change out my stock iron intake with something better

What do you like?

A stock aluminum intake off another year vette
or
Aftermarket intake like the Performer? ;shrug

What are the pros / cons of each. I still need to keep the EGR valve on mine (state emmisions and all).

Thanks for your opinion. :)

If your looking to improve performance then aftermarket would be the way to go.

I think you only have one more year to worry about emissions, if I am not mistaking.

You can buy aftermarket intakes that accept the EGR valve. Edelbrock makes excellent manifolds. But don't get too tall a manifold, or the air cleaner won't fit under your hood!

Perhaps the only reason to go with a factory aluminium manifold is if you want it to look more "original."

If you are sticking w/ Q-J, then Edel. Performer or Weiand Action+.

Shawn this is LG78.I have a78 silver anniversary that was recently top flighted. I have now put in an edelerbrock preformer manifold and comps cam 268h. There is no doubt about the improvement much more performence.I soon will be installing true dual exhaust MA stainless steel pipes and Dynomax ulta flo mufflers.Let you know how it goes.

LG78 - I'm actually in reverse order. I cut out my old exhaust tonight to ready it for my MA Chambered to arrive on Tuesday. Then in about 6 weeks I'll start on the intake and cam.
Are you running Auto or 4spd? Why did you choose the 268 cam? Was that a recomendation from Comp?
I started with Summits K1102, but after reading many posts, I think i can easily go to thier K1103 or the Comp 268.
I think the Performer is the intake of choice these days.
I'll let you know how the chambered goes. I'm looking forward to some sound coming from my vette! :cool
Shawn

I'd have to say swap the manifold out along with the heads....

Think VORTEC......

ahhh- Can you feel it?

Shawn this is LG78vette sorry idid not get back to you sooner but I also had problems getting online.My neighbor is amechanic he spect the cam out the comps cam was more agresive than stock but not outrageous.It seems wedid well I have been reading what others say and itseems to be a favorite. My 78 is a4spd.I have to wait a week or two before i can order my exhaust I"m anxious toget rolling!

Comp Cams HE268H is a very good min. for 350 4spd. & works w/ stock valve springs. Have been rec. for a long time- many know.

Good day today! My MA true dual exhaust and ultra flos came about aweek ago and I INSTALLED IT TODAY! Sounds and feels real sweet!I have aquestion? Can the stock 78 clutch handel my mods? Preformer manifold;comp cam and true duals.I could only take a short cruise but I thougt I noticed a smell maybe my clutch? could this be?

The clutch can easily handle it -- if it's in good condition...

lg78VETTE,

Congrats on your dual exhaust install! Your clutch should be able to handle your performance mods. If you are smelling clutch, maybe time for a new one. I had mine replaced a year ago (other owner). He noticed a HUGE differance. Alot also rides on how you drive your vette. Running it hard, slamming gears will do it's damage. But who can resist at times :)

Shawn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom