Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Cam Specs for L81

R

rbell@idtfla.com

I am in the process of peping up my 81 a bit an wondered if anybody had the Stock Cam specs handy. Also, what Cams have any of you guys used?

Thx,

Bob

I am in the process of peping up my 81 a bit an wondered if anybody had the Stock Cam specs handy. Also, what Cams have any of you guys used?

Thx,

Bob

Bob,

Check-out this thread...http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30101&highlight=L81+cam

I am currently using the CompCams XE-268-H cam with the computer attached. However, I have not been successful in extracting additional power at the rear wheels over the stock L81, and I believe that what limits this is the fact that the computer's logarithms cannot be changed (or at least no one with CCC knowledge has bothered with improving upon it).

I have been able to extract 176 HP at the rear wheels with this cam, a 3.31:1 rear gear ratio, and 9.5:1 compression ratio. which to say the least, it is meager gain given the additional improvements.

On the positive side, I am able to get 20 MPG combined on a 100 mile test drive with about 1/3 city driving. 1/3 highway driving, and 1/3 country roads driving (fluctuates between 30 and 50 MPH in the country roads with few stops in between.

My recommendation to those of you who want screaming tires and low end torque in a 1981 Corvette, Consider removing the L81 and maintain it for safe-keeping & well protected, and install a crate engine that will deliver the performance desired.

Gerry:

Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Comp 12-238-2. I really would like to car to sound and run a bit better not going to the track or anything. I also wanted to keep it fairly stock as well. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thx,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom