Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock, modified, or outrageous ?

Well, first off, let me welcome you to CAC. Sounds like you've got a nice 66 there. I can only give you my suggestions and opinions, which as you know are worth basically nothing. :D

The car will be worth more in it's original stock condition, in my estimation. But I surely can understand why you would want AC in the car. It's your car and if it will allow you to be able to enjoy it more, I'd suggest that you go ahead and pursue the idea.

Classic Air and Vintage Air are a couple choices you can go with.

I echo the welcome and this priceless advice: it's your car so you get to do what you want!!

Unless you plan to return it to drag-car configuration to score on the vintage racing value, you basically have a modified car which means the collector value is reduced. By gel-coating the fiberglass, you've already gone away from the NCRS route. My two cents: insulate it will to keep the heat out & the cool in, then install a/c... and drive it!!

Mac

Not that I am an NCRS person but explain why gel coating would not be in their list of not to dos. The car sat outside in the wind, rain, and snow. The mat was showing through in many places. I felt re gel coating was the proper repair. It came with gel coat, it disappeared with time and was replaced. Do they have a micrometer to measure thickness ? If so what is the tolerance ? I don't feel their so called experts know any more than the factory manuals specify. Would a car with a quarter or door replaced automatically be labeled an outcast ? Is a poly filler to take out those nice factory waves also taboo ?
I bought the car to drive and enjoy. I could care less about collector value as it is not for sale and my financial status does not depend on it. I just don't want to destroy a nice example of Chevrolet history if it means cutting into the body for non standard options. I know many alter their cars and I am trying to talk myself into it ... just bothers me thats all. I did leave the wheelie bar mounts on the frame.
I'm not arguing with you... gel coat is a great way, if not the best way, to seal the raw fiberglass. What I'm saying is I don't think the gel coat disappeared with time and exposure to the element. I am not an expert on C2s but I believe they did not come from the factory with a gel coat... ergo not the NCRS way... I have no idea how the NCRS checks paint etc as I've never had my 73 judged and I never will!

As I said in the onset, it's your car... do with it as you will! If you are going to be driving it, build it to be driven... insulated it in the best way you can manage and install a/c... Make it the way that you want it to be and if that means altering it... I repeat: it is your car!! You don't have to answer to anyone!!

One of my best friends is the original owner of a 1967 Corvette coupe 427- 435 hp... He raced it for a number of years, blew up a number of engines in doing so... parked it for nearly 2 decades and then decided to rebuild it into HIS vision of what a 1967 Corvette should have been from the onset... He didn't let any notions of preserving a verifiable piece of GM history get in his way. Here's what his vision looks like... www.67heaven.com

Mac

My opinion. A 1966 Corvette was a very nice car in 1966. A 1966 Corvette is not so nice a car in 2013. It looks iconic and drives like a mid-sixty's car. It is hot, noisy and hard to get into and out of. The ride is far from compliant, it is a kidney destroying jolting scrabble on the highway. The steering wheel is HUGE and gets in the way. It had to be that large to get the leverage to steer the animal. If you want the 1966 driving experience renew the car as close to original as you can.

Now get into your present vehicle, drive around for (alone because your significant other WILL NOT like this) a few hours with the windows open and the A/C turned off. If it is a nice day the first hour will be nostalgic. The second hour will be torture. If it is 103 degrees like the day I tired this experiment (yes I truly tried on a very hot August day in Genoa, Nevada) you will be done in 15 minutes. By done I mean well-done. I do have a 5 speed manual in my car, so I am used to operating a clutch all day. Power steering? Ah yeah! 3.4 turns lock to lock hauling on that 16 inch wheel through a recirculating ball steering box is like steering a very old tractor. It just does not respond like a modern car.

I do love all that discomfort and effort. I loved my 1968 4 speed, 327, manual window, no power steering, no power brakes, non A/C Camaro. In 1968. In 2013 I drive a 5 speed, turbo charged 4 cylinder, power 4 wheel disc brake, radial tire, power steering, power tinted window, power sunroof, A/C equipped, flat corning, quiet 4 door sedan. I love it too. So does my wife. I can hardly keep her out of it.

If you have the time and the scratch a RestoMod is real nice. If you have ALL the original pieces and you are thinking about re-sale value, it would be best to restore that '66.

Make it yours. Get it on the road and see how you like it. These old cars are never finished. If you don't like it, change it. Listen carefully to everyone and thank them for their input. Put some miles on it, listen to that V8 bark, stuff a few corners faster than the law allows, row the shifter. You will know what to do.

Mark.

Oh yeah, welcome to CAC. Great bunch of guys.

Last edited:
My opinion. A 1966 Corvette was a very nice car in 1966. A 1966 Corvette is not so nice a car in 2013. It looks iconic and drives like a mid-sixty's car. It is hot, noisy and hard to get into and out of. The ride is far from compliant, it is a kidney destroying jolting scrabble on the highway. The steering wheel is HUGE and gets in the way. It had to be that large to get the leverage to steer the animal. If you want the 1966 driving experience renew the car as close to original as you c
Oh yeah, welcome to CAC. Great bunch of guys.

+++++

Last edited:
My main goal is to make it look factory original with some comfort not too noticable updates.
Hope to get some guidance as this thing is quite a project. Hopefully I am not missing too many hard to find parts.

Adding good A/C will help you enjoy the car and drive it more often, especially with your weather; brakes don't need an upgrade (assuming they're in good condition) - they were good technology in '66, and still are today.

:beer

Adding good A/C will help you enjoy the car and drive it more often, especially with your weather; brakes don't need an upgrade (assuming they're in good condition) - they were good technology in '66, and still are today.

:beer
+++++

Last edited:
Mark; I like your slant on the old birds. The non power steering will definitely keep the hot rod on my side of the garage. We did put a good cam in the 427 so with a good sounding exhaust ( by the way.. what a good alternative ) it may be some what annoying to others. My main goal is to make it look factory original with some comfort not too noticable updates. The big tiller is great ( has a teak wheel ) and an annoying heavy duty clutch which I am perfectly happy with. Torque thrusts off the GTO will replace the factory steel wheels and it came with two big block hoods ( one a bit weak from a flight in near tornado velocity winds).
Interesting side note it loosened the interior braces but did not damage the outer surface. It will live on another project. The back area inside the coupe is large enough for a dog bed. My Terrier, who loves to ride, will probably call shotgun for our day trips.
Hope to get some guidance as this thing is quite a project. Hopefully I am not missing too many hard to find parts.

You might check jackfit's posts, he had his stinger hood go on a solo flight. The internal bracing separated like you have described. He did a photo report on his repair. You will enjoy reading his threads, He is one to drive his Roadster! He also takes a lot of photos. I have found that everything you'll need is in the aftermarket suppliers inventory, for a price! I've heard some issues with off shore parts. Vintage Air will be my choice when I have my Coupe apart for paint ( well in reality I do have to reassemble my basket case that has been apart for 33 years before I begin to paint it).

Side pipes are very popular, especially with the Rat Motor (sorry, Big Block Chevrolet) crowd. The GM side pipes necessitated the removal of part of the lower body. My Hooker Header side pipes (chrome at one time) did not. With the side pipes you will have a tough time running a balance tube from one side to another. This will allow a drone to manifest itself in the passenger compartment in certain RPM ranges. With a 7 liter, performance cam engine side pipes will most likely get all that hot air out of that BBC engine the best. Not very quiet, so our Law Enforcement Professionals will always know where you are. As long as you behave that will not be a problem. I will be running factory exhaust (reproduction from the exhaust manifolds back) to get that 1965 SBC Coupe driving experience before I wade into the restoration of those old side pipes.

I agree with John Z on the brakes, My year was the first 4 wheel disc brake configuration. Keep them in good repair and you will be able reign in that Rat Motored stallion.

Mark.

Like you a RestoMod is a nice (if expensive) idea that I like. What I am doing is taking a basket case and making a driver. We fired up the 350/290 last night on a stand. Whoo Hoo! It lives! Just a tad noisy with open manifolds! Neighbor was shaking his head wondering what I was up to.

The crate engine was the least expensive option for me. Get it registered, on the road and motor it around. Once that is accomplished take it apart for paint. When it is apart add A/C and P/B (it has P/S now). No garage/trailer queen that is too valuable to drive and park overnight on road trips. Just a 1965 Corvette Coupe that gets me down the road to see what all this is about.

4.11 Positraction, 5 speed Tremec with a 0.64 final overdrive should make a interesting ride. 1st gear will be short but the 0.64 5th will keep the RPM bearable at highway speeds.

Mark.

My 30 year build

Bought a 66 coupe a while back that was taken apart, paint stripped, and generally put to sleep for forty years. As most of my yard and house projects are completed I am gradually turning my attention to the corvette. I had the 427 rebuilt and stuffed back in the hole with a new clutch assembly. The body was gel coated. A local boat shop gave it two double coats, first grey and second black with sanding in between coats. The body was not crashed and was a former California drag car with very few options ( huge motor, four speed radio, and positraction )
Which brings the following questions. Add a/c, power steering, better brakes, decent seats ? Its a black / black car so the temperature inside will be warmer than most. I want to be able to take it to neighboring states on trips so comfort comes to mind. ( passenger livability also ). I don't see it to be a super rare exiot piece but I want to keep it as close to factory as possible.
Many place so much money in their projects that that are afraid to leave the garage and park unattended. The other extreme is so much invested another interest catches their eye and they want out quickly with the entire cost. Considering a few safety and comfort items in my mind will be something any additional owner would do anyway. I am trying to talk myself into adding a/c.
I feel compelled to chime in on this thread as I also have a '66 427 conv. I have been building mine for 30 years after some front end body damage. I'm in the area between a restomod and stock. All mods are done without cutting up the car but I have gone with rack and pinion, 500+ hp, suspension upgrades (fiberglass rear spring, bigger swaybars), bigger dia. and wider wheels, headers that fit under the stock covers, etc. I never had the original engine block or documentation for this car so I am building the hot rod I always wanted. Being a Corvette owner since 1975 I have seen the purists take over and try to dictate how we build our own cars. Beautiful, low mileage, documented, undriven cars have their place (and I love 'em) but not in my garage. Having said that I still have tried to collect as many correctly dated missing pieces(engine, glass) as I can afford (maybe out of guilt) because they will never get any cheaper.
So as a result I have 2 complete separate drivetrains front to rear. I want to drive my car hard but don't want to break original trans or diff. Do what you want and can afford to your car so you can drive it comfortably, after all that's why they were designed and built in the first place.

Your '66

I have a friend who had a blue/blue '66 coupe much like yours, 425 HP, 4 speed, no power. He wanted to add some power options for a driving/cruising car. Instead he restored it the way it came from the factory, sold it for a very good price, and bought another Corvette and added AC and power, updated radio, etc. and had $$$ left over. As for the NCRS judging of gel coat, the criteria for finish is that it "appear", or looks like, it did as it came form the factory. Many BC/CC and other modern finishes may look like the original paint but with much improved materials. In the end it is your car and do as you wish and have fun.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom