Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Thermostat

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
What is the temp of a stock thermostat for a 95 LT1? Do they make a 180 stat?
thanks

What is the temp of a stock thermostat for a 95 LT1? Do they make a 180 stat?
thanks
Stock is 195F yes they do make a 180F but you will need a tune to make it work right.

You can run a cooler thermostat without doing anything. The only thing is if the car sits in traffic your temp will still run hot because the fans wont kick on until the stock setting.

You can run a cooler thermostat without doing anything. The only thing is if the car sits in traffic your temp will still run hot because the fans wont kick on until the stock setting.
True but cooler temps will make the PCM richen up the fuel mix and hurt emissions & performance.

I have a 180 stat and the pcm has been programmed/tuned to turn the fans on at lower temps.....in summer heat(pushing 100*) with or without AC (fans run constant w/AC)...I've never seen temps over 190. Flip side of the coin is... these cars were designed to run much hotter/warmer then most owners expect...low speed fans around 226*---high speed around 235*.....A 180 stat will be wide open and out of the picture long before the cooling fans will turn on in summer heat...point is-- in order to lower summer time engine temps the pcm will need to be programmed to run the cooling fans at a lower temperature.

thanks-is there any documentation stating that it is a 180 stat? half the people say it is 180 the other half say that it is 195 im still puzzled as to which one is the correct stock temp.
thanks

The L98 stock is 195*. I have no idea on an LTx.

stock/factory is 180* also just FYI the LT1 stat is unique/different then other SBCs.
hmmm by unique i mean made different then earlier SBC and can't be interchanged, some parts counter people may not be aware of this.

thanks-is there any documentation stating that it is a 180 stat? half the people say it is 180 the other half say that it is 195 im still puzzled as to which one is the correct stock temp.
thanks

Straight from the FSM, 180*.

Apparently gets confused with the 160* thermo occassionally.

Some install a 160* & then have the fans programmed to come on earlier than stock. It's a personal preference thing.

Book 1 FSM Page OB-8 will give you the info.

Thank you all for your input. The fsm and the dealer said the stock stat for a 1995 LT1 is the 180-LT only the L98 uses the 195 stat- Thanks again rabbit

As listed above the OE thermostat is a 192-195°F unit. You can get a 180 from Stant.

A custom tune is not required to get some benefit from a 180 'stat, but it is true that you'll get more benefit from it, if you have the fan-on temps on the calibration are changed and on a 95, this can be done by either custom reprogramming or with a handheld tuner, such as Hypertech Power Programmer.

As listed above the OE thermostat is a 192-195°F unit. You can get a 180 from Stant.

A custom tune is not required to get some benefit from a 180 'stat, but it is true that you'll get more benefit from it, if you have the fan-on temps on the calibration are changed and on a 95, this can be done by either custom reprogramming or with a handheld tuner, such as Hypertech Power Programmer.

Thanks Hib, but I went to the chevy dealer and picked up a delco stat (180) .The dealer said this is the correct stat according to his info on the computer. (he did mention that 92-96 all take the 180 stat) I appreciate your calibration tips

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom