Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

stranded with fuel!!!!!!!!

British Bob

Corvette
1986 Black C4 Convertable
Ok,

My car passed its mot today here in england after not moving for a couple of years. These realy are amazing cars!!!

Was driving it back to my house with a smile on my face, roof down enjoying the rare british sun when i lost all accellaration. limped to a safe place and stopped. engine splutterd to a stop.

It turns over, there are sparks to the plugs. no noise from the fuel pump though. is a 1986 c4.

Have read some of the threads and would like clarification of a few point. which fuses should i be checking as the fuse box doesnt read very well.

How do I replace the fuel pump and what does it involve.

Before i start pulling the car apart is there anything else i should check.

Also read a thread that suggested that there may be a fuse for the pump in the dash behing that panel that tells you when you are going to need to spend some more money??????? does this apply to my 1986????

I have removed the center panel and the info screen and the panel on the left with all the display option switches are joined together as one unit which doesnt sound like the description on the thread i looked at. dont realy want to un bolt it unless reassured that there are fuses behind it. you know how delicate these old cars are.

Thanks in advance guys.

British Bob:W :W :upthumbs ;help ;help :beer

There should be a red wire near the battery with a female connector that's not plugged into anything. This is your fuel pump test lead. It bypasses the fuses and relays. If you apply power to this wire the pump should run if it doesn't then you either have a wiring problem (unlikely) or a bad pump. You'll need to remove the rear bumper cover to access the fuel tank for pump replacement.

After sitting so long maybe all you have is a clogged fuel filter. You ran it just long enough to suck all the crud from the tank into the filter and plugged it up.

Also don't forget that gas that has sat that long has gone bad.:)

hi guys

thanks very much for the above. will try. a few threads said that i could change the pump from the top of the tank????????

fuel pump

thanks very much for the above. will try. a few threads said that i could change the pump from the top of the tank????????

bob. unbolt the hinged cover over gas tank, and you can remove everything from there. no need to remove bumper cover. remove cover and unplug harness to tank, ( 3 wire plug) put your multimeter in the tan/white recptacle of the plug harness on car. connect other lead to good ground (fuel tank) turn key to on position and check for 12 volts for aprox. 2 seconds. if it's there, the pump is shot. If no voltage, check pump relay and fuse. good lick!

oops

bob. unbolt the hinged cover over gas tank, and you can remove everything from there. no need to remove bumper cover. remove cover and unplug harness to tank, ( 3 wire plug) put your multimeter in the tan/white recptacle of the plug harness on car. connect other lead to good ground (fuel tank) turn key to on position and check for 12 volts for aprox. 2 seconds. if it's there, the pump is shot. If no voltage, check pump relay and fuse. good lick!
I meant good luck, not lick!:w

thank god for that ,i would never of got my tongue in there!!!!!!!:L :L :L :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom