Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange headlights issue

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
I'm having a wierd issue with my headlights. There seems to be a vacuum leak somewhere in the system, but i'm not sure where.
About 6 months ago i replaced the actuator seals, and they did need doing.
About 3 months ago a replaced all of the vacuum lines and tees, and fitted a new filter and check valve. (fixing bubbas job)
I finally got around to starting the motor to see how the headlights went a few days ago, they opened but very slowly. From here i checked the relays, both were leaking so i fitted new relays.
Started the motor again, the headlights do open faster now, but still seams like there is a leak somewhere. Tested the lines going through to the interior and no issues there, also checked the canister between the headlights.
Any ideas where to check next? As far as I can tell I've checked and replaced just about everything.

Antz,
go back and check the actuators again.. I have found that when i replaced mine (one side) the replacement was, errr, less then good and leaked after about 3 month again. So, replaced the replacement part. Worked for a good while, but, when i get the time i will have to go over it again as one side (the repaired one) is slower again then the other, again. :eyerole

:w
Stefan

Rechecked the actuators. The seals are still good. But I did find the diaphragm is leaking.
Looks like I'm replacing the headlights bit by as as things fail.

Test the system check valve. It's somewhere near the intake manifold connection to the car's vacuum harness.

Last edited:
Test the system check valve. It's near the intake manifold connection to the car's vacuum harness.
Already did. It's only a couple of months old so I wasn't surprised when I found it was fine.

strangely enough when I retested the actuators about an hour ago (at the price of a new one I wanted to be sure) and they seemed fine this time.;shrug
Gave the car a quick test drive around the block and switched them on when I got back and they opened as though everything was normal.

double check every thing you have replaced....
just be sure you didn't overlook something or in case something pulled apart

double check every thing you have replaced....
just be sure you didn't overlook something or in case something pulled apart

Ok rechecked everything. Can't find any leaks anywhere. The ligjts will pop up about an hour after stopping the motor. So should be good new. Just have to sort out a parking break issue now. It only seems to be operating on one wheel. (I have tried adjusting it)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom