Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

strange starting problem

Corvette
1988 convertible-blue pearl
My 88 money pit is mad at me and won't start if it sits even a few days without first needing the battery charger. It just needs hooked up for a few seconds and I hear clicking noises all over the engine compartment and the interior lights and dash lights come on. The battery is 2 yrs old. I think it has something draining it or there is a loose connection. I haven't driven it in about 2 yrs but now I would like to but I'm afraid it might shut off on me. I usually start it up and let it idle once a month. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Denny

From your description ...check the cable connections at the battery itself for being clean at the contact area and tight.

I would check the grounds everywhere also. Open the hood, look along the frame rail, both sides. Under the car, bell housing has a few.

Do your power door locks/power seat adjust. work?????

My seat quit working a while back. I left the car sit for a couple days w/o the battery charger on it and tried to start it. When I turn the key on there are the usual clicking and whirling noises. When I turn it to start I get a loud and fast clicking noise and the fan tries to turn but then stops. I think its a problem in the starter. If I leave the battery charger hooked up, the car will start fine. I don't understand this. I think the battery is fine. What is the difference in the voltage going to the starter as long as the battery is good? I am thinking of pulling the starter and that leads to another question. Is it better to rebuild the old one (21 yrs old but I know it fits) or buy a new one which will likely be a rebuilt anyway. I don't think the starter is hard to get to with the car jacked up but I'm not sure if that will fix the problem.;shrug

May be Battery (even 'tho it's not very old)

From your description ...check the cable connections at the battery itself for being clean at the contact area and tight.

If you've done the above and still have problems....the battery may not be old ,however I'd take it out and have it checked to be sure it's good...if it is in fact a good battery then you likely have a electrical draw which is draining the battery over time,but I'd be certain the battery is good first. It does not sound like a starter problem to me. :thumb

I would say the battery is bad.

do a load test on it.

most parts stores have the ability to do one.

Ok, I'll do the battery test first. I hope its not the battery though. You have to take half the friggin car apart to get it out the side. I'd sooner do the starter. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

There is a bulletin on the the power seats, check it out on this site. The seat action abraids a power wire, which is hot all the time, the power door locks are on the same circuit breaker. I had the same problem, the circuit breaker burned my finger when I started to investigate......It might be your problem

Well, you guys are purrtee smart. I took the car to the garage where I bought the battery and had a load test done and they said the battery has less than 50% charge while running and the monitor said replace the sucker. The mechanic said there is a chance that my battery charger is shot or the alternator isn't working. He said he has corvette customers that have to replace their battery every year because of not starting them for long periods of time-like me. I have had problems with the battery charger so I will get a new one tomorrow and charge it up real good and then do another load test done to see if it fixes it. See how hard I'm trying to avoid changing that battery again. Maybe I'll just hire a tow truck to follow me around. Thanks for the help. I'll post the results here when I'm done.

starting and idling once a month,a no no,

Hi caninelver,you mentioned that you start and idle your vette once a month, thats actually not a good thing to do ,ill tell you why,when doing this the thermostate takes twice as long to open,thus why idling puts extra wear on your engine, and also it may give your battery a minor charge boost but it will only help a small amount.The best way to do this for your vette, is if you can not drive it because of weather,snow etc,dont use it or start it unless you can at least drive it for 15 to 20 minutes,this is far better for your vette and the battery,other wise just leave it until spring ,but keep your batttery charged over that period. regards.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom