Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strong Gas Smell!

Adam Wartell

Corvette
1979 Corvette Red Coupe
Often while I am driving I can smell gas.
Then when I get home, as soon as I shut the car off and step out, I smell gas REALLY strong. The smell will linger in the garage for about 6 or 8 hours after shutting off the car.

I do not see any gas leaks on the ground, nor do I see any leaks near the carb.

Any ideas what is going on? One suggestion I got was about some sort of emissions canister, under normal operation, could be causing it. But I never used to smell it before.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

it's a gas...gas...gas ...

I have a similar problem Adam- especially after taking a sharp corner after refueling - - I'm thinking there's either rust thru at the top of the tank causing a small leak-- or the hoses at the top may be loose or cracked. I'm gonna run the tank town to under a 1/4, then drop it out and check it carefully - - I'l replace the hoses and clean out the tank if it;s okay - - or replace it. I think they're about $100. Just my two cents.
CQRTin AZ

Continual gas smell problem

I had a horrible fuel smell problem one summer, I was getting light headed and dizzy coming home from a shopping trip and decided to go to my mechanics rather than try to make it home.

Turns out my fuel lines over my gas tank were cracked and leaking gas down the top of my gas tank, pooling in my spare tire carrier and dripping over my mufflers!
:eek to say the least!

I still have a light gas smell on hot days if my tank is below 1/2. If it is full there is no problem and I don't understand why this makes a difference.

I have not changed the evaporative purge canister and this may be something we need to do.
Heidi

I had the same problem with mine. I changed out the rubber hoses at the tank . Also, the gasket around the filler neck was bad and I replaced it, all without removiing the tank. No more gas smell.

CS

CHeck the cross members under your gas tank. There are ant9i-squeak pads there that can absorb the gas and hold it. I had a couple of pin hole leaks in my tank right where the pads were and I kept getting the smell of gas, but could not find it. Finally felt the front pad and it was wet with gas.

I LOVE this forum

Thanks to all for the comments- even though I didn't initiate the string. I have learned more in this forum in a couple of months than I have in twenty years of "corvette'n & bench racin'". Best to all-
CQRT in AZ

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.... looks like I have a lot to look into! Now, if I only knew what the hell I was doing when I get in there!

Adam - Like you mentioned,your vapor cannister (under the left fender)could be saturated with fuel. A more likely culprit would be the fuel pump. I've replaced both these items on my car.

See ya.................Dave

I had a similar gas smell problem with my 81. I changed replaced the filler cap and the problem went away. There are many possibilities, look closely at your fuel lines and pump for a leak.

I was having that smell lingering in my 80 as well.It turned out that my fuel filter just needed to be alittle tighter.Only takes a drop under pressure to smell like gallons!:J :J

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom