Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strong Vibration in my '92

Grizzly

Corvette
1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
Was on a cruise this week and had a recuring problem with my '92. In high gear (4 speed auto), light throttle, light pull, and about 1900-2000 rpm I get a tremendous vibration. The car almost shudders.

It's done it before, but I really couldn't nail it down. Did a lot of follow the leader stuff and it happend often enought that I could nail down the specific conditions. Car ran great other than that. Thought it might be the TC lockup.

Any guesses?..........................Griz

Where did you feel the vibration? Seat of the pants, through the wheel, or any specific location?

When you passed through that RPM range in the lower gears, did you experience the same vibration? If the vibration is speed specific and not engine RPM or transmission gear dependant, then we can probably eliminate the engine and transmission.

Would the vibration stop when you either accelerated or braked? Did it immediately stop when you took your foot off the throttle, or was there a delay?

This should get us started on troubleshooting your problem.

Steven

It only occurs under the specific conditions stated, none other that I could detect. Ease off on the gas and it goes away suddenly. If you give it more gas the converter unlocks and shoots through the 1900-2000 rpm range and goes away.

Another question. Does anyone know if the converter locks in any gear but overdrive?

Lock up convertor

It is my understanding the convertor locks up in all gears except 1st. From your description it could well be lock up shudder, sometimes a fluid change will help, good luck.

I believe there was a discussion on this before and one of the things to check was the TC lockup solonoid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom