Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stubborn shock mount

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I have tried hammering and spraying liquid wrench as well as using an air hammer to try to get my shock mount out.... nothing!!!! Its been a few days now and I think the only way is to cut it out with a sawz-all. What I think will work is if I cut in two places. On either side of the strut rod, inside the spindle. Doing this will ruin my bushing though so my question is this..... If I can successfully cut it out and clear the old bushing out of the strut rod, can I use one of those split poly bushings to replace it? Keep in mind that this is just my home garage and I don't have alot of specialty tools such as a press or acetylene torches.
;help:confused:W

If the thing will not come out what your going to have to do is use a cutoff wheel and cut the end off the strut rod to get it off the mount and bushing. Then peel off the rubber and use a chisel and vice grips to peel the bushing sleeve off the mount shaft. Then some more PB Blaster and heat and it should come out. Keep in mind that the mount is Keyed so it will not turn, it will have to come straight out.

Keep at it with the hammer and the penetrating oil. Not all are made equal. I used PB Blaster with good luck.

You don't mention if you have the tool. If you don't, you can make one with two bolts that you can pound on. I found that if I soaked it, hit on it, soaked it again, hit on it some more, etc. it eventually came out.

The tool is esseential. A nice square surface that lets you beat on it more securely.

Make sure you put some anti-sieze on the assembly when you put it back together.

...Keep at it with the hammer and the penetrating oil....You don't mention if you have the tool...The tool is esseential....

I agree. Tool, hammer, time, and patience are the way to go. A little canned propane judiciously applied will also help. Careful with the torch, though.

Shocks mounts are pricey. Why cut it if you don't have to? They're also machined forgings, so cutting one will not be a piece of cake.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom