Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stuff coming off of dash

S

ssvett

I had a guy come in today with a 96, and on his console and going up on his dash, the black(mat finish) is coming off and exposing the shiny plastic below. My question is, has any one had this problem, and if so is there a cure...........Thanks for your help.......Steve

Maybe

It sounds like someone attempted to re-do the interior at one time or another (the factory wouldn't have done it!) and they didn't properly prepare the pieces for paint. I think that all the old stuff will have to be taken off and proper preparation with appropriate cleaners as recommended by Lars in Denver (who said that?) .
I've never seen it .. and am glad not to!!

A Big Thank you

Thank a lot. That is just what I needed:) ................................I promise not to tell who told me about it, Ken................Steve

Me too!

I know the original thread was an old one, but hopefully Ken has a secret stash of answers he can refer back to! :w
Barry

Dash covering

The factory finish had a 'soft' overcoat that eventually comes off, especially if you polish or rub it a lot. While refinishing is a posibility, the original look can only be achieved with new replacement parts (fat chance finding them).
So, take it easy on the finish.

That soft rubbery surface will stay intact if cared for properly. According to the owner's manual (I know, the one we never read!) a mild warm water and soap solution is the way to clean those pieces. I have done that on mine with exceptional results. I have also used 20/20 glass cleaner on a clean cotton towel for a quick clean. That also works real well.
Save the Wave!

KREX 725 said:
-Ken

I'm having this issue now too, but the link you provided is no longer available. Any chance you have another link to this info? It's driving me nuts!!!!!

Thanks!

I had this problem on my '93 (and it is just starting on my '96). What I did on the '93 is take off all the black matte rubbery stuff, and leave it black plastic. It looked fine.. no one looking at the car could tell the difference.

Vettelt193 said:
I had this problem on my '93 (and it is just starting on my '96). What I did on the '93 is take off all the black matte rubbery stuff, and leave it black plastic. It looked fine.. no one looking at the car could tell the difference.

The plastic underneath the rubber coat on mine isn't a solid black. It appears to have "swirl" marks throughout it. I had read others on here in the past say they just peeled off everything and it looked okay so I hoped that would be my case too. Instead, it's very noticeable.

I found replacements for anywhere from $129 to $349. I figure a fraction of that cost is worth at least trying this method. The other thought was to get one of those carbon fiber kits, but I just can't bring myself to do that to my vette! :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom