Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Stumble, put-put, backfire, vroom take off. Long post but I tried to give ample info

Jerrys95vette

Corvette
C4 1995 Corvette Base
1995 Corvette Base LT1.
Owned about 1 & ½ months. Little history that I know of so far: The last owner had it for 6 or 7 years and rarely drove it. It sat under a shed most of the time. I have found rat pills on the intake area and pulled about fifty Long-Leg spiders out of the outer part of the air filter. It appears that he jacked the car up with a floor-jack right under the fiber glass floor pan. And YES, it punched right through. So far this leaves me with very little confidence that the P/O properly maintained the Vette. And I over paid, so shoot me know!!!!
Here’s my issue:
I took it out for its routine short drive to at least keep it moving, etc… until I have time to really dig into fixing this car up.
While granny driving, I notice a slight hesitation. So of course, I put my foot in it and Put-Put, Pop, Chug, the vroom it takes off. When I hit second I felt it hesitate for just a slit second.
I drove it around for a while to get it warmed up more, thinking maybe it was just cold. Same thing. Sitting in park, I give it ¼ throttle and it hesitates then revs.
I popped the hood and started looking for air leaks thinking it running too lean, but due to the time of night it was just a cursory look-over. I noticed that the cover plate atop the throttle body had about an inch of rubber gasket hanging out. I removed the plate and observed the gasket was torn in that outter area. I also notice very sticky dark amber oil/fuel under the gasket all in the area atop the throttle body.
Questions:
--Could the torn gasket be attributed to my Put-Put, Backfire (under hood, I think) and hesitation. i.e., is this my air leak?
--Is that sticky mess normal or is this a sign that the MAF and throttle body need a good cleaning?
--What is the plate covering? All I could see was a little square piece of metal down in a slot. What is that?
--And lastly, am I going down a rabbit whole? Is this the likely cause of the engine hesitation, or do I need to be looking elsewhere?
Ps, When I bought the car I drove it over a two hour trip home and it ran like a charm, I did not notice any hesitation just great acceleration, but I didn’t dog on it either. It is likely that this car sat up for a long time and the P/O may have fibbed about driving once a week. He had several show trucks that he had covered and garaged. Those were likely his priority and passion, not the corvette.
Please, if you have any tips for me I am wide open. I have been reading a lot about this car, but this is my first corvette.

Update on hesitation, stumble & backfire

Just wanted to give an update on my post in case anyone else experiences this issue.
The resolution to the problem was replacing the throttle body cover plate gasket.
While I was there, I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body. It was a mess, but cleaned up fine. No more hesitation, sputtering, etc. upon acceleration. Runs fine now. $4.60 + 20 minutes of my time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom