Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stumped!!!!

J

jiangtao

1990 L98. 55k miles.After about 200 miles of highway driving the SES light came on and went off about 50 -60 miles afterward.Parked it for about 2 hours and ran the code.Turned out to be 45.Then tried to start it and it wouldn't start.It started for a few seconds by pumping the gas pedal a few times but died almost immediately after.Where to "start" so to speak?Could the O2 sensor cause a no start?I smelled a fuel odor while trying to start it and the fuel pump was running.First problem with this car for me and the first code!One more thing,after trying to start it I would get a blink from the SES light,but no new codes.Thanks in advance,Chris.

You may have a leaking injector. The greatest danger is damage from hydro lock which can occur if the engine fires with a cylinder full of fuel. I would remove the spark plugs and examine them for wet fuel, any that are wet could identify the affected cylinder. If that doesn't reveal the problem then disable the ignition by disconnecting the distributor turn the engine over by hand while observing to see if fuel comes out of any spark plug openings to isolate a problem injector.
Use extreme caution not to crank the engine over with the plugs removed and ignition system enabled, I've seen many fires caused by doing so.
If this still shows nothing, check the fuel pressure, reinstall the plugs, enable the ignition then try to start while holding the pedal to a the floor which will keep the injectors from pulsing (clear flood mode)
Hope that helps, good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom