Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stupid Newbie Question

ah53

Corvette
1965 Silver Pearl Coupe
After trading in my first corvette ('67 convertible street racer-hot cam, headers,4:11 rear etc.) 28yrs. ago on my daughter I've just now bought my second. It's a 1965 Silver Pearl coupe 327/350 (it will remain stock)with A/C and original knock offs. It should arrive sometime this week. Now for the stupid question: What is the "birdcage" on a corvette. I keep seeing the term used but I'm clueless. BTW the vette is joining my Austin Healeys which are what I've been using for my sports car vice for the last 28 years. They had a "back seat" and way back when you coulds put a kid there without breaking any laws and we all survived the "dangers" of it.

Joe C.
'65 Coupe "yeah"

Somebody else will answer this better than I can. But the short version is that the birdcage is the framing that surrounds the passenger compartment and provides a place to hang body panels, door hinges, dash pieces, etc.

Good Luck on your new purchase

Bird cage is the steel structure that the windshield and door jambs are part of.

Unfortunately allot of cars have rotted bird cages and its a major repair, The easeyest way to get an idea if a car has problems is to remove the glove box and look in there.

I am sure youll get some more information in a bit

See my "Tech Bench" column on page 85 of the current (January '07) issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, which answers exactly the same question, with photos. The "birdcage" is the welded steel structure that forms the "skeleton" under the fiberglass skin of a Corvette - it's riveted and bonded to the underbody, and all the body panels are bonded to it. :)

My different take on the birdcage

In essence, the birdcage " IS ACTUALLY THE CORVETTE ".

Without it there can be no car. Give me a birdcage, and there are enough parts available to scratch build a complete Corvette. Everything else can be found, bought, or made, but the birdcage is unique in itself as it is the bond that structurally holds the entire car together.

If anyone reading this happens to have spare one, I would be interested , since it is the only thing missing for me to have another complete Corvette.

Stepinwolf

In essence, the birdcage " IS ACTUALLY THE CORVETTE ".

Without it there can be no car. Give me a birdcage, and there are enough parts available to scratch build a complete Corvette. Everything else can be found, bought, or made, but the birdcage is unique in itself as it is the bond that structurally holds the entire car together.

If anyone reading this happens to have spare one, I would be interested , since it is the only thing missing for me to have another complete Corvette.

Stepinwolf

Makes you wonder why they aren't repro-ed yet...

greetings,
Rob.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom