Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Subwoofer in the back of C3

steves74

Corvette
74 coupe all original 54K, 4 sp
I am working on a stereo for my 74 coupe. Would like a subwoofer and speakers behind the rear wheel wells. Anybody done this? Any ideas? What about a subwoofer in the jack compartment? Any pics? THANKS:_rock

I have 2 6x9 speakers in the back now but they are useless when my top is down.(which is 99% of the time)I've been thinking about putting a powered Bazooka bass tube back there.That way i won't have to find a place to mount an amp in the car and it will be easy to remove if i need it to come out.My son thinks i should get the one painted to look like a NOS bottle but i'll probably go with black.

I am working on a stereo for my 74 coupe. Would like a subwoofer and speakers behind the rear wheel wells. Anybody done this? Any ideas? What about a subwoofer in the jack compartment? Any pics? THANKS:_rock

This works well- and fits in the stock location.

6x9 enclosure modified to fit within the factory location. Sound quality is great and I retain the rear for T-tops.

IMG_0782.jpg

I cut a piece wood out that fit in the back and created a false wall, it sat forward of the rear bulkhead by 4" or 6" or something like that. I lenthend the wire on the luggage compartment light and put a plug on the wire for easy access to removing the panel. I put open air type speakers on that board (the heavy ones toward the bottom to keep it balanced since it was not attached), covered it with black fabric and put it in. I don't recall how big the woofers were, but I had 2 good size woofers and two of something else? Tweeters? WTH, I don't remember it was the '80's.

I cut the board so it just sat on the humps (it was pretty much the exact shape of the space just forward of the bulkhead). The fit was so nice I didn't even attach it and with the black fabric cover and the stock light on it you couldn't tell it was back there... Until I unleashed the stereo which was installed in the jack storage compartment. (No it wasn't an 8 track!)

Rear window storage still worked and the speaker board was invisible. It probably cost $20 with wood, wire mesh to cover the speaker holes, wire and fabric.

I had it in there for years, I have no idea why I got rid of it.

thanks darkshark. That is a good idea. Is that box square or trapezoidal shaped? I can see that you cut the corner out to fit the contour of the wheel well. Looks real good. How did you hold the box in place?

Thanks Koop. Sounds good. Any pics? Did you have an amp? Any subwoofers?

Ive heard it... for me though its not nearly good enuff.
Thats good enuf for me !
I just bought garage speakers, each one has 2 15s and a horn and a tweeter. I also got surrounds and a mid. I love to hear it clear and with some punch. I expect no less from the car audio.

Thanks !

thanks darkshark. That is a good idea. Is that box square or trapezoidal shaped? I can see that you cut the corner out to fit the contour of the wheel well. Looks real good. How did you hold the box in place?

No pics, the amps and tuner were stashed in the right side storage box. I made a custom lid for the right side box and the tuner came up cleanly throught the lid with the amps stored below. (Who needs the stinking jack anyway)

The false bulk head worked out great, I could have put a small amp or two on it as well. I remember making a cardboard mock up and then cutting out the wood. It was invisible, pretty cool since the stock POS was (and still is) in place. It made it fun to unleash massive power when folks laughed at the stock radio. I didn't have any subs, just a couple of 10"s (at least I think they were 10"s), some beefy tweets and the mids in the kick panels.

When I bought my car, it came with a black carpeted box built and fastened to the floor behind the compartments. It has an 8" subwolfer and an amp built into it. He also replaced the stock round speakers in back and the ones in the dash. It's all hooked up to a Sony CD player, and it really puts out some sound! Sometimes I wish I had the entra space the box takes up, but for the most part I don't miss it.

The amp sits in the jack storage location. No subs- don't need them. A quality amp, well thought out enclosures, and decent speakers makes a HUGE difference. I may upgrade to Memphis Audio speakers some day. We'll see though!

This is the setup I built for my '81 :cool. I'll probably be selling it since I bought an AMP for the car and I've redesigned the box to hold the amplifier :beer. I have a friend that lives in the next town that owns a '77. I'm thinking of making a template for that model C3. On this speaker box, you could place a 6.5" woofer in the center in place of the 4x6's :cool. You still can place your T-Tops under this model of box.

2007_09210002.jpg

Thanks emtmike, for the pic. Looks like a real nice setup and gave me some ideas on my 74. Liked the idea of room for T tops. Going to look at building something similar, but with room for sub. I would to have room for maybe a shallow 8" sub in the middle. Thanks again...... steve:D

You could also pick up some tips on-line... ive been building custom boxes for years and it gets easier all the time. Spend some time and do it right.

Also check out http://www.caraudiohelp.com/ they have some great articles.

Thanks.....that is a good reference. Everybody else....check it out, lots of info:D Any pics of some of your boxes??

Seeing as how you have a 74 and the flat glass my setup would be perfect for you.

I have 2 10 inch subwoofer in the back of my 77 and still have room to put my t-tops and luggage.

What I did is I created a bracket that bolts into the seatbelt hole. And holds the box into the air against the top of the trunk. The subwoofers are aiming downwards and the amp is in the middle.

I will post pics tonight if I have a chance. It would be easy to put some 12" woofers and some 6x9 with this setup and still have lots of room and the best sound possible.

My entire car shakes from the subwoofers and you cant see out of the rear view mirror when its thumping. :cool

I did something similar to that! In the back I've got an 8" on each side in the top corner for mids and a downward facing 12" sub in the middle. Two 4"x6" in the dash and two 4"x6" in the kick panels for the highs. I've got 1400 wartts of amps and an adjustable crossover in the jack storage box of my '77.

OOps I forgot theres like 10 feet of snow outside and my car is under a tarp.

But if your not in a rush as soon as some snow melts I will send you the pics just let me know your email. :confused

Art Jett your setup sounds sweet. Did you make brackets and bolt them into the seat belt bolts to hold it up.

OOps I forgot theres like 10 feet of snow outside and my car is under a tarp.

But if your not in a rush as soon as some snow melts I will send you the pics just let me know your email. :confused

Art Jett your setup sounds sweet. Did you make brackets and bolt them into the seat belt bolts to hold it up.
Actually, no. There were three holes spaced evenly across the rear plate between the cargo area and the gas tank. I used long SS bolts with fender washers and rubber grommets and drilled holes in the back of the boxes. That's all I have in the boxes for the 8" and they kind of sit on the rear of the wheelwell. For the sub, I also bolted thru the back and thru the sides into the 8" (mid) boxes but it was too heavy, so I removed the center screw from the lower window trim piece and put in a longer screw which goes into the front of the sub box to help support the weight. I still have lots of room for the tops. It will get louder than I can stand and it's crystal clear!:beerArt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom