Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sudden problem

RichNJshore

Corvette
1993 Torch Red Coupe
Help,
My well kept, running like a watch, 1993 coupe suddenly backfired and lurched while I was driving locally at about 35 MPH. It then stopped. I tried to start it it cranks, but when it started it sputtered and backfired and immediately shut down.
It is at my mechanic now, but hewon't get to look at it till Thursday.

Timing belt? It has 93K miles on it. If so is it a tough fix and how much average cost?

Thanks

I doubt it is a timing chain these motors are pretty bullit proof . my guess would be an opti-spark problem or fuel pump issue . the bottom line is it needs to be scanned for codes before starting any diagnostics. then get out the service manuel Steve

I figured fuel pump problem would have given me a harder start. It starts and would even run (really rough) if you rev the engine. I didn't take much time to mess around because I wanted to bring it in instead of trying to diagnose on th side of the road. What is the opti spark all about?

Thanks for the replies. Actually I had an old camaro that had a loose element in the cat which clogged up the exhaust and messed up the back pressure causing the same symptoms. I know I'll just have to let my Mech have at it, but I like to be educated when I talk to them.

I dont thing fuel pump, or opti. Both would have given more notice before they failed. Whatever the repair, I hope its wallet friendly. :)

It was the distributor assembly and rotor which in turn damaged the optispark. So throwing in a new serpentine belt and tensioner with labor.............1400.00 OUCH. That opti is a pricey part. But my buddy is running like a watch again. Thanks for all the answers

Thanks for letting us know, I thought it might be the opti. Did you go with OEM replacement or one of the after market versions? MSD has one that I would seriously consider.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom