Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suggestions on ignition and carburation

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Hi gang,

My new engine cannot produce what is able to because of the computer. Is there a chip I can program? Is it worth it?

New ignition and carburator seems to be the solution. What should I do?

I've read here any number of times that the chip upgrade is a waste of money. Very low power gain if any. Yes, a HEI upgrade and a non-puter carb will give you some gains. These alone.........I couldn't guess as to the real amount of gain. Now, if it's a good kick in power you crave, consider headers, true dual exhaust, high flow mufflers and cats(none if you can get away with it) and you just gained 30-40 hp. Combine all of the above and I think a 50 hp gain is likely realistic.

Quick story. California CHP installed a performance chip in the GM Impala. Went to the drag stirp to crunch the numbers. Found out the stock police special chip that came with the Impala, out performed the that aftermarket chip.

I know I need headers :cry. The factory 81 down pipes are too small for my new heads. I think that the standard 1-5/8" diameter (I guess) and maybe even coated would also help, but I wonder how much help for the buck?

Carburation is also true; I have considered a Road Demon carb, but I have not gotten any feedback on them.

Can you imagine...the original carburator with 148,000 miles since factory??? I need to change it, but I haven't had the time to properly research. I guess the most forgiving carb out there would be the Edelbrock Q-Jet. :L

On the exhaust issue I have a problem; I just bought (about 6 months ago) the stock pipe system, so I may have to shelve-it and install 2-1/2's for the headers $$$$$ ouch :eyerole

That chip story (aren't the Highway patrolmen called CHiP's? :L) is amazing, but I would like to find a programable chip to dial in or program the ignition advance I want.

Go with the non computer Q-jet and HEI non computer distributor. I got both from Jegs. Noticable improvements, and you can adjust your timing with a kit. However the Proform distributor I got was already optimised with full advance at 2800 rpm. Only 159$. not much more than a chip would cost and much more effective. O yeah, I went with the Holley spred-bore and it works great but the Q-jet is a grreat carb.

Gerry, I know this is not the place to ask, but where do you get those round faces that cry the blues, and hurl their lunch like they ate off of a roach coach? And could they be used on other websites? Not a savvy computer nerd here. Thanks

When you post a reply, look to the left on the screen, and you'll see the "clickable smilies" link. They pop-up window will show you how to enter them in your text.

:( Never thought to look but to tunnel vision into the text box.:booty Shows you what kind of an ass I am.;worship You're the man Gerry. You made my day. Thank you!

After swapping out my cam & intake the engine felt a bit flat at low rpms. I set the base timing to 12BTDC which improved it a bit & then spotted a used Hypertech chip for sale. After fitting the chip the improvement was dramatic, the low end power felt much better & the exhaust note sounded a lot crisper (always a good sign :) ). I've seen these chips get a bad press & must admit I never considered buying one, but now I've fitted one I'm very happy with it. I suppose a lot has to do with the state of tune of the engine. Mine has a Performer manifold, true duals, open "mufflers" & a better cam than stock & the chip works well.
I doubt if I would have noticed any difference by fitting the chip if I was running stock inlet, exhaust & cam. The flat spot I had just off idle was really causing me grief & I was starting to regret fitting the cam until I tried the chip.
Guess I'm trying to say that sometimes these performance chips do work well.
:beer

UK,

Jet Performance wants $400 for the chip (it would be a custom one), but I decided to wait until I overhaul the factory L81 motor to purchase the chip. I plan to externally make the engine look like an L81, but it will have the comp cam 268, shaved smog heads for increased CR, and polished/ported (matched) intake manifold and heads. Then I will be able to take advantage of the chip features. My current motor will be installed in a fixer-upper 1968 - 1973 vette if possible.

You are right! Computer control has many advantages.

I assume they'll fit...go with an '80 Q-jet and have it rejetted if you have an engine that's no longer stock. As for ignitions, I'm a diehard Jacob's fan. I'd take a Jacob's over MSD any day (and I did!)

Essentially, this is what I have.
http://www.jacobselectronics.com/products/energypaks/ultrateams/prostreetteam.htm
It's a slightly different package than what I bought, but I still got the ProStreet model. What I like best is that you can get additional goodies that let you make all kinds of adjustments from the drivers seat. The idea of driving down the highway and being able to adjust my timing on the fly sounds fun!
Just for fun, if you check out the site, look up their progressive nitrous setup. Totally trick :D

Evo,

That looks like a sweet setup. The box seems smaller than the MSD which would definetely help with finding a spot for it in the vette's crowded engine :bang compartment.

Phase III on my engine will be a nitrous system (I am not putting up with a Dodge Neon cleaning my clock with such a cheater set-up....:L) Those rice-burners can muster up to 200 additional Hp's on the fly....:cry but phase II (paint job) will definetely come before a nitrous system.

The Jacobs coil fits nicely on the firewall... looks purdy too!
Engine+3.jpg

Evo,

Is your cooling fan the same as Heidi's? How is it working for you?

GerryLP said:
Evo,

Is your cooling fan the same as Heidi's? How is it working for you?
I believe it is, but I've never seen hers. I updated that thread about the fans...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom