Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sunvisor

P

pmwild

I have a 1982 vette with a telescoping sunvisor on the drivers side. The visor shaft is square. At the end of the shaft 2 nylon bushings go on and then it slides into the chrome elbow on the body. There is a vertical slot on the elbow that you can see the nylon bushings thru. The problem is this: no tension for visor. I'm guessing there should be some kind of clip that goes in the vertical slot that would create tension on the nylon bushings? Anyone else able to confirm or deny?

-the case of the floppy header visor...

Phil, -it just proves again that all great minds think alike, in as much as I recently fixed my driver's-side visor so that it no longer tends to droop say 5-degrees down from its original proper position up flat "saluting smartly" proximally against the ceiling of the car's roof. No big deal, but like you, -its just one of those pesky if trivial little things that you'd like fixed (preferably for FREE!). ---Well sir, my '80-C3 has the same white/nylon-bushing like end-piece which is apparently just slightly worn enough to let the visor droop. Fixed it just fine by cutting some thin-aluminum (a disgarded frozen-pie dish was the donor) with a regular sissor into an approx. 3/4"-square piece, -then starting from one-end folded it over flatly upon itself into an approx. 1/8"-wide x 3/4"-long strip as a shim to be inserted into a narrow slot you will see formed into the support-arm (if it turns out to thick, -just unfold your shim and cut-away a little and retry, -until it all fits snuggly when re-assembled). Anyway, you will get the idea better when you take-apart the white/nylon-bushing, and see that by inserting this shim you can entirely eliminate the droop causing slop condition, yet it still slides and pivots as intended.... Wheeeehhu!!! ~Bob vH
:TALK :dance

Thats toooo funny...I've done that trick back in the mid 80's. Only I used a sliver from a feeler guage for a shim to tighten things up.

pmwild.... forget the stop-gap fixes and order the nylon bushing from Eckler's or Corvette Central. Pull out the visor rod. The bushing was molded around the shaft from the factory. If it isn't already broken you may have to cut it off. The replacement bushing will come in two pieces. Hold them together and slip the rod/bushng back in the elbow. You may have to whack the end of the rod/visor with a rubber mallet (carefully) but it will pop right back in. Cost: $6-8 each side. Good luck.

............ Nut

I also had the same problem even after replacing with new bushings. I used teflon tape, several wraps around the bushing. It took a couple of tries to get it just right but works fine. Holds where I put it but still move-able.

Got the answer from Art's Corvettes. There is a clip that goes into the vertical slots on the elbow. Not serviced seperately. Must buy the elbow assembly.

Mine has the clips...I still had to do the above inorder to stop a droopy visor. Oddly enough...just the drivers side want to droop...LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom