Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Superchargers!!!!

Crucifix

Corvette
OK folks, I know that there may have been posts related to this topic before but I would like your input on this topic. I have a '92 vert with 53K.

I now have the bug to install a supercharger ever since I have seen the article in Road and Track. (see the Mustang)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=2572&page_number=1

So with that being said. Can I have your opinions. comments, thoughts, pro's and con's on the topic?
I have looked at the Vortech for my vette and this unit is a bolt on.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/yourcar/92-93corvette.html

The Procharger looks like there is an intercooler involved but the web doesn't speak to the ECM at all.
http://www.procharger.com/GM/gm_auto.shtml

Thanks a bunch folks!!!!

Peter
:drink :booty :Buttslap :drool: :cool

I had a procharger installed on my 1993, Z28, nothing but bad news!! Good luck!

do yourself a favor and just do a heads and cam setup. same HP with alot less headaches!

Procharger is by far the best I have seen out there. If you do go that route definetly get the one that is intercooled, it will make a ton more power. It is all in the tune though. If you first get it tune it for 5 lbs of boost, and just keep tweaking it till you get it to about 8 lbs or so. Let me know what route you go, because I have been thinking about a procharger for my vette.

Mad-Mic said:
do yourself a favor and just do a heads and cam setup. same HP with alot less headaches!
'

I disagree... A properly installed supercharger is much better than heads and a cam power-wise... The supercharger adds plenty of power but has the drivability equal to stock, including only a very minor reduction in gas mileage. There is no idle roughness you can get with a cam, and the installation is all bolt on.

The only thing you have to worry about with a supercharger is running lean, but you have to worry about that with heads and a cam too... a car that is heavily modified like that needs a good tune to be both effective and safe.

In my opinion, if heads and a cam are improperly installed you stand to lose the engine just as you would if a supercharger is improperly installed...

The bottom line is: you can get more power in many different ways... all of them have to be installed and tuned properly.

Vettelt193 said:
'

I disagree... A properly installed supercharger is much better than heads and a cam power-wise... The supercharger adds plenty of power but has the drivability equal to stock, including only a very minor reduction in gas mileage. There is no idle roughness you can get with a cam, and the installation is all bolt on.

The only thing you have to worry about with a supercharger is running lean, but you have to worry about that with heads and a cam too... a car that is heavily modified like that needs a good tune to be both effective and safe.

In my opinion, if heads and a cam are improperly installed you stand to lose the engine just as you would if a supercharger is improperly installed...

The bottom line is: you can get more power in many different ways... all of them have to be installed and tuned properly.

have you ever seen one of these cars supercharged? do you know how much work it takes to do this? i can tell you it's a PITA to do.

#1 there isn't much room for this let alone mounting the intercooler. thats a whole nother feat upon itself.

#2 severe heating problems due to the placement of the intercooler. it mounts horizontally and shares the air with the radiator.

#3 heat soak. once the blower gets heat soaked you loose alot of HP and we all know how hot underhood temps get on C4's

that right there is 3 reasons not to go with a blower on a C4. if it was that easy you'd see more setups like this and believe me i would have one if it was. can it be done? yes. i've seen a few and talked to the owners when i was thinking about buying a full used P600B ATI kit for 2600 bucks. heat soak and placement of the intercooler alone robs over 1/2 the HP that it should be making. remember boost doesn't = hp the air temp charge does. no matter how much boost you put to it if the charge is hot your not going to make more HP. the more boost you make and once you start pushing over 8 lbs on a stock application that makes cylinder pressure and cylinder heat the enemy and will start blowing head gaskets if your lucky. if your not a nice hole in the cylinder due to the heat being to hot in the chamber.

I would stay away from a supercharger, I would follow Mad-Mic advice. can it be done yes, but you are pushing a ten year old engine to the limits, I would put new heads and cam. and enjoy the extra power, with a new top end, it will last and be fun.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom