Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Swapable Sidepipes For Street + Strip

Mako

Corvette
1969 Hotrod
I have a rather unusual side pipe setup on my '69 that you might be interested in knowing about.

The problem with a conventional sidepipe setup is that it is not a tuned length pipe and the compromise between too loud for better power and quiet but choking the engine is an unpleasant one to have to make. I wanted it all: reasonably quiet but with unrestricted power.

Thinking the problem through led me to decide that what was really needed was a removable side pipe setup that would allow me to swap between a set of ear ball saving street pipes and a set of tuned length WFO race pipes.

I discussed this idea with Dave Herlinger at Corvette Repair in Mountain View, CA. I have 3" collectors on my Stahl headers. But a 3" pipe with a muffler insert really sucks too much power. I found that Pertronix (of ignition fame) makes a 3.5" insert for street rodders - perfect! So the street pipes are 3.5" in diameter in an attempt at keeping exhaust flow up some and the WFO race pipes are the correct 3" and cut to length per Jere Stahl's advice.

Once we had a good idea of how it was all going to work, Dave fired up his TIG and fabricated a set of test sidepipes for me.

I took the car to Sacremento and the pipes worked well, but due to frame flex on the launch, the welds on the tabs that bolted the tubes onto the frame failed.

We addressed that by using wider strap steel and installing bushings in the tabs that allow the frame to flex without over stressing the welds on the pipes.

That proved to work splendidly. Dave then fabricated the "for real" pipes. A full length set with muffler insterts for the street and a tuned length of WFO pipes for the strip.

I'm exceptionally pleased with the way things have worked out. I can swap between the eye candy and acceptably quiet street pipes and the WFO pipes in about 15 minutes in the pits.

I have setup a web page with pics and a parts and vendor list on my web page (click the photo of my car below) under the Sidepipe Fabrication link if you are interested in learning more.

CYa!
Mako

Mako, thats a nice solution and the sidepipes look great as does your car. I'm running the Hookers with the JCL inserts and always wondered what it would run with the inserts removed. But as you know, removing the Hooker tubes is quite a job plus it's a long chancey drive for me to the dragstrip with open headers. I saw in your website picture that you're running 12.34's with 488 HP? What rear gear are you running if you don't mind me asking? Charles

72Mako said:
Mako, thats a nice solution and the sidepipes look great as does your car. I'm running the Hookers with the JCL inserts and always wondered what it would run with the inserts removed. But as you know, removing the Hooker tubes is quite a job plus it's a long chancey drive for me to the dragstrip with open headers. I saw in your website picture that you're running 12.34's with 488 HP? What rear gear are you running if you don't mind me asking? Charles
Thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, futzing with the Hooker (or GM) sidepipes to R&R the insert is far more effort than I was willing make.

I drove my Vette to work for 6 months with Shoenfeld race "mufflers" in the test pipes, it was just a little bit loud ;LOL Never got pulled over for noise though whew!

I'm running 3.70s in the rear. With the new M22, this has become a problem. It was a better fit with the M21 ratios. Recently Autogear has made an M22 gear set with M21 ratios. I'm seriously considering going back into the tranny and installing those ratio gears. I don't want to add any more gear to the rear of the car, 3500RPM ant 70MPH is more than high enough as it is.

CYa!
Mako

I'm running 3:36's and I'm not happy with them on the interstate.:L Guess all these modern car with overdrives has spoiled me. Long term, I think I will be looking at the Keisler 5 speed with O.D. Charles

72Mako said:
I'm running 3:36's and I'm not happy with them on the interstate.:L Guess all these modern car with overdrives has spoiled me. Long term, I think I will be looking at the Keisler 5 speed with O.D. Charles
For me it will be a T56 conversion. The 6 speed in my Z28 has spoiled me rotten...

CYa!
Mako

Mako said:
For me it will be a T56 conversion. The 6 speed in my Z28 has spoiled me rotten...

CYa!
Mako
Al! Dave will tell you not to do it!!
http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=10759584/PictureID=217415767/t_=8668720
You remeber this car don't you? 12.28@117MPH at Vette Magic Heh Heh!
Horsepower (425HP) by Amaral's Engine Parts & Machine Fremont, CA (home of the winners!) Just had to make sure you'll make Vette Magic in Sacramento this June (1st Sunday of June just like always!) Eric B.

LTdash1 said:
Al! Dave will tell you not to do it!!
http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=10759584/PictureID=217415767/t_=8668720
You remeber this car don't you? 12.28@117MPH at Vette Magic Heh Heh!
Horsepower (425HP) by Amaral's Engine Parts & Machine Fremont, CA (home of the winners!) Just had to make sure you'll make Vette Magic in Sacramento this June (1st Sunday of June just like always!) Eric B.
Heya Eric!

Yeah I sure do remember your car, although the Snapfish place wants me to register, to see your the photos, which I rather not do (potential for spam).

I think I may have a couple of pics of your car in the staging lanes in my Vettemagic gallery too come to think of it...

What's the plan for your car this year? I dunno if I will be able to make Vettemagic this year due to money mainly, we'll see how it goes.

CYa!
Allen

Mine are very easy to tune for road and track use. 5min job to get the baffles out!

DSC02208_JPG.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom