Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sway Bar

jnj

Corvette
2006 Machine Silver Coupe
Has anyone experienced a rear sway bar snapping at the insulator nuts?
This just happened to my 2001 on the right side.
Are they easy to replace?
I see so many choices for adjustable bars, solid and hollow bars, what would be the best replacement, stock of aftermarket?
Thank you~

Wow, snapping a sway bar couldn't have been too easy. Was it one of the hollow ones? You have lots of choices, depending on your wants/needs. They come off pretty easy.

you can see from this picture what it takes to remove the bar. End-link and bushing carrier. Same on both sides.

Yes I believe it is one of the hollow ones. I had no tools to remove it, so it is currently zip tied to the lower a frame. The break was on the outer side of the bushing carrier. Do the end links need to be replaced as well?
Thank you~

If you have the "plastic" stabilizer links, then yes! Get the nice metal replacement ones with the grease fittings. You'll feel a HUGE difference with those. Also replace the front ones if they are the kind I just described.

By the way, the picture that Toms01 sent you has those junk plastic ones. They twist and bend basically making the stabilizer useless.

I've replaced many of those.

Chuck M

Last edited:
Cool Thank you~

If you have the "plastic" stabilizer links, then yes! Get the nice metal replacement ones with the grease fittings. You'll feel a HUGE difference with those. Also replace the front ones if they are the kind I just described.

By the way, the picture that Toms01 sent you has those junk plastic ones. They twist and bend basically making the stabilizer useless.

I've replaced many of those.

Chuck M

Yup, mime has the plastic end links. They serve me OK, but if you are going to use it harder , then the metal links should be used.

Yup, mime has the plastic end links. They serve me OK, but if you are going to use it harder , then the metal links should be used.

If you change those out, you will not agree with your own last statement. It will seem like a much tighter car! You won't believe how much the handling of your Corvette will improve with even the slightest turns.

Change them out as soon as you can and you'll see. Zooming in on your picture, the links are already twisting and bent.

Chuck M

Last edited:
Where to get them?

Moog part # K750136 Amazon's got them for 22.47 each and free shipping..great price! It's got a great picture of one.

If you're getting them from your local parts place, make SURE you tell them you want the newer design with the grease fittings. The stem on those are beefier. They may not have a choice but to order and see what comes in.

One time I ordered 4 and had a non-grease fitting one come in, so I took the 3 good ones and ordered another correct one.

The old ones will come off with an allen wrench on the end of the link and a wrench on the nut, the new ones will have a square for a wrench on one side while you use a wrench on the other side where the nut will screw in.

Chuck M

Just ordered a set from Amazon.

New links came in today. Allen wrench wouldn't get the old ones off....well I did get one off, but found out it's a T40 not allen wrench. I couldn't get a metric or standard allen wrench to work very good, metric was closer and got the job done. Found out it was T40. So once I had the right tools the last three were off and new ones on in about an hour. Have taken it for a ride yet, but I have a feeling that I will be able to tell a difference. The old ones were rather "distorted", making me think they weeren't doing what they were completely intended to do.

sway bar links

replacing the front and rear sway bar links with some good metal links and swapping out the rear bar for an adjustable unit is the best bang for the buck improvement for handling/steering response when cornering that you can do. Next step up is to replace all the stock suspension bushings with upgraded units, and if you really want your C5 to handle like a supercar, ditch the transverse leafs and put on a true coil over setup ( Pfadt makes a great kit ) for a true independent suspension. The difference is night and day.:thumb

replacing the front and rear sway bar links with some good metal links and swapping out the rear bar for an adjustable unit is the best bang for the buck improvement for handling/steering response when cornering that you can do. Next step up is to replace all the stock suspension bushings with upgraded units, and if you really want your C5 to handle like a supercar, ditch the transverse leafs and put on a true coil over setup ( Pfadt makes a great kit ) for a true independent suspension. The difference is night and day.:thumb

Yeah, but you're also talking about night and day for your wallet too... as in empty!

The OP just wants to stop a small snapping noise from worn link bushings. At the same time this inexpensive replacement would give him much better handling. I don't think his intent was to do a big changeover like you're suggesting. We're talking regular maintenance here.

Though I'll bet your car does handle fantastic!

Chuck M

<------ Mechanically Challenged

Are the Moog part # K750136 links just for the rear, or do the same ones go on the front? (Are these even on the front?) :ugh Obviously I haven't looked under my car for a while! And beings its like 0 degrees out, I don't plan on crawling under it til around July-ish. :rotfl

Also, what and where are the plastic end links?? ;shrug

Lovin' all the smiley's we get to use!!

BoDuke, the Moog parts are all the same, front and rear. Not terrible to do, of course that's easy for me to say with my car 6 foot high on the lift. :_rock Our cars came with a flexible link. Mine were so distorted, fronts more than the backs, which makes me think that there are some weird forces going on. If you are going to order, do all four. And quit being such a weeny get out there and get it done.:boogie

Me >:flaming< BoDuke :woot:

I like the smileys too! :naughty:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom