Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sway Bar

ppookkiiee

Corvette
2001 Yellow Coupe
Has anyone had any problems with their Sway Bar or Sway Bar Bushings? I own a 2001 Coupe and it has been in the shop 5 times in the last 4 months for the same problem. The have replaced the sway bar, lubed the bushing several times and de-burred the sway bar. The Service Department called GM yesterday and was told this is a common problem for the 2001 Vette, but this is the first time this Dealership has dealt with it. They were told by GM to do what they have already done several times and that it probably won't be a permanent fix.

ppookkiiee said:
Has anyone had any problems with their Sway Bar or Sway Bar Bushings? I own a 2001 Coupe and it has been in the shop 5 times in the last 4 months for the same problem. The have replaced the sway bar, lubed the bushing several times and de-burred the sway bar. The Service Department called GM yesterday and was told this is a common problem for the 2001 Vette, but this is the first time this Dealership has dealt with it. They were told by GM to do what they have already done several times and that it probably won't be a permanent fix.
What is the complaint? Noise? Creaking? Wearing out the bushings?

Tom

All of the above....it started out with just a small squeak, then turned into a constant creaking when you turn corners, now it's anytime you drive it. The Service Department has replaced the bushings (last week) and that worked for about a day, I am taking it back tomorrow because creaking started again last night. This will make the 6th time....they don't have a clue what to do with it.

Just curious, how have they pin pointed the " creaking noise" is actually the sway bar system? Before I obtained my 04, I had a 01 coupe....but never experienced this particular noise during the 36,000 miles I owned this car. Does this sound appear to be from the rear or front? Is the noise always under some corner strain......or just typical turning.

Thanks!

I have a 2001 coupe and never had any creaking or noise either...I have since replaced the bars with Z06 bars and bushings...curious...I will pay closer attention to this.
Bill

The Dealer put it up on a lift and they found the right sway bar bushing working it's way out, replaced it, then started squeaking and coming out again. During the cars worst condition, the creaking was during any movement of the front suspension. Currently, mainly just bumps and cornering.

ppookkiiee said:
The Dealer put it up on a lift and they found the right sway bar bushing working it's way out, replaced it, then started squeaking and coming out again. During the cars worst condition, the creaking was during any movement of the front suspension. Currently, mainly just bumps and cornering.
Sounds like the bar isn't moving freely in the bushing and is actually siezing and twisting the bushing out of it's mount. I was told a couple years ago by the guy that was the general manager at Gauldstrand at the time to always use marine grease on sway bar bushings. Water won't wash it out and it holds up better. I put it on my Polygraphite bushings in my currant project but it isn't on the street yet so I can't vouch for the process. He said that's all they use at Gauldstrand though. You may want to order some aftermarket polygraphite bushings too.

Tom

Well, unless you have the Z-51 suspension you should upgrade your sway bars anyway. You will be amazed at the difference in cornering and handling!

1g1yy said:
Well, unless you have the Z-51 suspension you should upgrade your sway bars anyway. You will be amazed at the difference in cornering and handling!
Even if you have the Z51 you should change the sway bars.The difference was incredible ! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom