Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sway Bars

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
Anyone know what size (diameter) the factory front sway bar is on the L81? I want to replace the bushings. I also noticed that I don't have a rear sway bar although it looks like the bushing bracket holes are there in the frame. Can anyone confirm that they did not come standard or is mine missing? For those that have the rear bar, is there any noticeable difference? I don't drive very hard. I'm just tossing the idea around. Thanks.

:w Mike,

I can't find the specs on the size of the Stablizer in the GM Shop Manual or the Assy. Manual. It's probably in the Assy. Manual "somewhere" maybe someone else will come along with the size..

The "Rear Stablizer" is an option, it's the FE7 option (gymkhana suspension) it was also used for the ZN1 option (Trailer Package) the standard suspension did not come with the rear stablizer bar ;)

Also the front bar was a tad bigger if optioned with the FE or ZN option.

If you have it, check your window sticker or build sheet for options ;)

My guess would be that your car was NOT an FE optioned car, just a guess ;)

Bud

Thanks Bud! I don't have the gymkhana suspension. I think I'm going to just get my trusty crescent wrench out and try and measure it. It looks as though the rears available are 5/8", 3/4", and 7/8", so that leaves a 1" and a 1 1/8" for the front choices. I'll bet it's a 1" bar.

Mike, I don't have the sway bar on the back of mine either,so I just assumed I didn't have the gymkhana suspension.
I'll be happy to measure mine if you want a comparison size to go by...

Tritium007, I put a rear sway bar on my 71LT-1, way back when, The bar came stock w/bigblock's, I wanted one, it bolted right up, the dealer got it for me . I was surprised at the dia., only about half inch. Thinnest sway bar I've seen...........

Tritium,

I went to my garage, and I measured the sway bars.

The front one is 1.137 diameter (using a caliper laying on the garage floor, so it's probably more close to to 1 1/8"). The part number for the front sway bar is 351596.

The rear one is a little under a half inch diameter. It's part number is 351597.

Thanks everyone. I was quite surprised to see that honker (1 1/8") bar last night while installing new end links and shocks. Tonight it's the rear shocks and new spring cushions.

:w Mike,

You'll see a significant improvement just by putting new shocks and rubber on the ole gal ;)

Shocks, and new Rubber (or Neopren sp) in the front stablizer are a realitively inexpensive upgrade from 25+ years of wear, or less, that you can actually FEEL and see the front end lift a bit from all those years of settling ;)

Bud

81's with the stock suspensions and automatics came with the fiberglass spring. FE7 gave you the steel spring......which I do not miss one bit!!!!!
The black book does not mention what a 4spd with std suspension came with.

Mine is a 4spd w/FE7 with steel spring (in the attic now)
JU

The 4-speed came with the Steel rear spring ;) I've been told that a few of the last Bowling Green std. suspension 4-speeds came with the mono spring... but none of the FE7 or ZN1 optioned Bowling Green 1981's had the mono spring, ALL were Steel..

Bud

I've been doing a bit of reading and decided that my driving habits don't warrant a rear bar. I can find better ways to spend the $150. Even if I did drive hard, I don't like the idea of having the rear end come loose all at once vice one wheel at a time, even if I could go around turns faster. I've read that the fiberglass spring actually reduces the need for the rear bar anyway for normal driving. I'm good...on to the next good idea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom