Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sweet Sound of Success

R

rpounds

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pmorales01/vette.wav

I finally gook Ganey's advice on choice of cams . . . wish I'd listened sooner. This weekend, I needed to replace the radiator on my '75 . . . after all those years, it just didn't have the heat transfer capability that the General intended. Hey, what the heck . . . if I'm gonna go that far (R&R on a radiator on a C3 is a pain), I might as well go ahead and swap the cam out for something that has some balls . . . click on the link for a little taste of heaven . . .

verrrrry nice.
what are you running for exhaust.
tom

I have shorty headers going into a crosspipe, into a straight through one into two catalytic, splitting back off into dual flowmasters . . . you oughta hear it at 4500 RPM!!

I'll post the cam specs later . . . I'm at work right now and don't have the card with me. It works very well with the stock torque converter. Starts to make good power at around 1500 and pulls strong up to at least 4000 or so. I haven't really gotten into it yet . . . kind of waiting to make sure that cam is seated well before I push it too hard.

Best sermon I ever heard....I love it.....is there anyway to get that sound out of a 77 L48?:D

77vette,

This is a 75 L-48. The engine started out very weak . . . the 75 L-48 is rated at around 165 hsp . . . geez, the little ricers are pumping that, albeit without the torque of a small block. I must also say that it probably sounds more potent than it really is . . .

I love to tinker with this thing . . . been doing it since I was a kid . . . which was a long time ago. My next step will be something to do with the heads. I've been researching heads to free up the flow and unlock some horses. I have so far looked at Dart Iron Eagles, Edelbrock, etc. For the time being, I have to remain C.A.R.B. smog legal, because of the restrictive smog laws and the resultant semi-annual inspections imposed by California. I also have to be careful in component selection, because this vette is used as a frequent driver. It would be nice to have 500 or so ponies, but I have to remember that at this time, I actually enjoy driving it once in a while.

Anyhow, since the bottom end is fresh, I'm thinking about going with a set of 60 or 64 cc heads to pump the compression up a bit from stock . . . give it a little extra oumph.

Now, it's just a matter of selecting the correct components and oiling up my wallet. Oh . . . I guess I didn't mention . . . I'm a real tight wad . . . I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my bucks . . .

Okay . . . here are the vital statistics on the cam . . .

To answer a couple of questions that I have received, the compression ratio is a stock 8.5:1, soon to change. The heads will come off in a few weeks. I have been agonizing over which heads to purchase. I am thinking of 64 cc Performer heads from Edelbrock, which will boost the compression ratio and free up a good bit of flow. If anyone has any advice on head selection, I am all ears.

The rear axle ratio is a stock 3.08:1, which has always made things a little sluggish off the line with the high first gear ratio of the TH400 trans. However, the engine RPM at freeway speeds with this combo is certainly liveable . . . and it keeps the revs up into a zone that the cam really can appreciate.

I might mention that an added benefit to this cam is a lower manifold vacuum pressure, which in turn, causes the TH400 to shift a little later (the TH400 shifts into second via a vacuum module). At idle, the engine is pulling a steady 10 inches of mercury on a vacuum gauge.

Anyhow, for those that e-mailed for the info, here it is . . .

450/460 lift 291/287 duration, 224/224 @.050 114 lobe center

rpounds' cam maker & pn?

/rpounds: 450/460 lift 291/287 duration, 224/224 @.050 114 lobe center

RPOUNDS:
Sounds good :cool ... for all practical purposes that's same specs as the Wolverine/Crane Blue Racer WG1170 (450/460, 292/288 AD, 224/224 @050, 114LC) I'm using in my 71's L48 buildup: 388ci, Scat 3.8", SpeedPro 602CP 4.030", 76cc 487 heads, 9.2:1, Manley 22409 springs, TH400, 3.08:1. Probably won't sound as good in mine ... more inches, rams horns & true duals.

No first hand experience, but Edelbrock 64s'd probably be nice choice for you. Your cam specs look identical to SpeedPro CS1095R ... Which cam maker & pn did you chose for yours?
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom