Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sys on Dash,now it won't start.

steelelazer

I recently bought a 93 C4. The dealer had promised to change the battery...he didn't. After having it in the shop getting the ECM fixed and the digital cluster repaired(a loose connection causing the cluster to go out), I started seeing "SYS" flicker on the cluster. The car was running fine, but now when I turn it off it won't fire up without a jump. If cables are hooked up , the car fires right up. I have seen anything from "It's a bad battery" to the alternator to ccm. I have replaced the battery and just wanted to try and figure it out before I go replacing the alternator or taking it back to the shop.

This should be in the tech forum. Perhaps an @mod can move it?

Anyway, pull the codes first. Look around for how to do that. If there are any, they might point you in the right direction. If you don't have one, this would be a good time to pick up an FSM as all of the codes and trouble shooting info is in valuable.

In my limited experience, the Sys indicator has been a battery or alternator issue. You might first chech the battery connections and make sure they're tight.

Best,
Jerry

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

When the IP display in a late C4 blinks "SYS". That sometimes can be "fixed" by charging or starting system maintenance, ie: new battery, clean connections, good ground and so forth.

There are other reasons why the IP display flashes "SYS", too. Read the Factory Service Manual's section on the Central Control Module (CCM) for more information. Once you do that, get all the CCM codes and post them here. Once you do that, we may be able to be of more help.

Some Corvette parts suppliers sell FSMs for C4s.

I recently bought a 93 C4. The dealer had promised to change the battery...he didn't. After having it in the shop getting the ECM fixed and the digital cluster repaired(a loose connection causing the cluster to go out), I started seeing "SYS" flicker on the cluster. The car was running fine, but now when I turn it off it won't fire up without a jump. If cables are hooked up , the car fires right up. I have seen anything from "It's a bad battery" to the alternator to ccm. I have replaced the battery and just wanted to try and figure it out before I go replacing the alternator or taking it back to the shop.
Any progress on this? Re: FSM. These can be had from eBay as well. I bought one of their preliminary manuals there several years ago and it has served me well. I recently upgraded to the final version for less than $50. I was not in a hurry and was outbid one several before I scored this one.

Best,
Jerry

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Check all ground connections, not just at the battery. Pay particular attention to the chassis and engine connections. Also check where the wire goes into the terminating lug. Not unusual for the wire to corrode inside the crimp. Some OEM cables are copper plated aluminum wire that turns to white dust inside the crimped lug.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom