Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! T-top comming off 1981

M

Mylo

I was driving my 1981 for the first time and when I got to about 60 the passanger t-top glass pulled up from the frame :mad. Can any one recommend a fix for this? I took it to a glass shop and they would not touch it. I don't want to drive it on the highway because I am afraid that the wind will pull it off.

I had the same thing 5 years ago! First a strange whistle noise and then the glass pulled up from the frond. I fixed it with a black adhesive, don't remember the name and I don't think it's available in the states. Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Web site

I want to thank you for the link, I went to the web site and could not find a # to call or a e-mail address. I will keep trying and look in the phone book for the area where they are from. I will keep you guys posted.

T-top

I have made serveral calls and it is not looking good. :confused One place wanted 500 to fix one side, the other place would sell me new used ones for 589 for both. The real problem is that the window has a coating ( like a sticker ) and when that pulls loose the frame has to be taken off, the window has to be scraped and cleaned, then repainted along the black edges. Might as well just buy a new set... I don't have the money so I will try window glue and see where that gets me, I don't feel I have much to loose.

:w Mylo

It sounds like your are willing to try yourself to make "bubba" repair on your T-Top.. " I will try window glue and see where that gets me"... Hey nothing wrong with that, esp. if you figure you have nothing to lose..

I have done a few "bubba repairs" myself over the years ;) I see where you are considering using silicone type caulk or window glue... My suggestion, for what it's worth :rotfl.. get the best winshield silicone available, find out what folks use that replace windshields and get a recommendation from them. Also ask them what they would think about using JB Weld... JB might not provide enough flex ;shrug if that is something to be concerned with.

Good Luck with the repair, and let us know how it turns out and what you ended up using and doing to make the repair... curious minds want to know ;)

Bud

I have made serveral calls and it is not looking good. :confused One place wanted 500 to fix one side, the other place would sell me new used ones for 589 for both. The real problem is that the window has a coating ( like a sticker ) and when that pulls loose the frame has to be taken off, the window has to be scraped and cleaned, then repainted along the black edges. Might as well just buy a new set... I don't have the money so I will try window glue and see where that gets me, I don't feel I have much to loose.

Why would you buy new ones? If you're very carful you can remove the plastic bracket from the window without damaging the coating. I only have one or two very light scratches in the coating and only if you know they're there you'll see them. Look at it from the other side the things are glued together more then 25 years ago. 25 years ago they didn't have computers nor mobile phones so the quality of the glue isn't by far the quality we have these days! Just to a good search for the right glue you need. I'll look what I've used (if I can still find it). I think I fixed mine for $20 in about 5 houres.

If the coat is damaged very much then I think it's still cheaper to remove both brackets and removed to coating on both. Let them recoat them and then re-glue them. :)

Groeten Peter

:w Mylo

It sounds like your are willing to try yourself to make "bubba" repair on your T-Top.. " I will try window glue and see where that gets me"... Hey nothing wrong with that, esp. if you figure you have nothing to lose..

I have done a few "bubba repairs" myself over the years ;) I see where you are considering using silicone type caulk or window glue... My suggestion, for what it's worth :rotfl.. get the best winshield silicone available, find out what folks use that replace windshields and get a recommendation from them. Also ask them what they would think about using JB Weld... JB might not provide enough flex ;shrug if that is something to be concerned with.

Good Luck with the repair, and let us know how it turns out and what you ended up using and doing to make the repair... curious minds want to know ;)

Bud
It's not silicone,It's Urethane!! And it's STRONG stuff!! This is the stuff to use by 3M!

http://rshughes.com/products/051135_08609/image.html

Thread Located here on lt4mans C4!!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95196&highlight=Loose+Top-

PS Don't get it on your hands,You'll have to ware it off!!:D:D:D
It's the same type stuff the Factory uses:upthumbs

Bubba wouldn't use Urethane :boogie ;LOL

Thanks Jessie for the information, ah the correct information ;) (inquiring minds want to know, now we know the rest of the story).

Bud

The '80 AIM lists the adhesive used on the tops, but it is generic (no brand names). AIM also cautions about the need for cleanliness of the glass and the use of a primer for the adhesive. I'm sure the same information is in the '81 AIM.

:)

3m

I will try the 3m glue and let you know next week how it worked out. Thank for the help:):):):)

A black silane primer is used on the glass and on the frame prior to application of the urethane adhesive, for two reasons: 1) It blocks UV light rays, which will degrade the adhesive, and 2) Urethane won't stick to either bare glass or bare paint - both need a primer that bonds with the urethane.

:beer

Driving Home

Driving home 3 days ago. I put my window down and the T-top pulled off and hit the back of the car and broke into a million pcs. Left me with a nice scatch and an agurment with the tailgater behind me, who wanted money because glass hit his car. I told him it would not be stuck in your grill if you where not 4' from my bumper. Needless to say I need a passanger t-top.

Driving home 3 days ago. I put my window down and the T-top pulled off and hit the back of the car and broke into a million pcs.
Ouch! :hb Guess the 3M glue didn't work!
I've never heard of the T-Tops flying off... bummer, man!
Mine are so tight I barely (un)lock 'em!

3m

I had not tried the glue yet. I was bringing it home from a 2 week stay at the mech's I had the carb replaced and some other work done, it still does not run smooth???? It pulled off of the frame ( thank god ) I thought the passenger eject system had missfired.

Driving home 3 days ago. I put my window down and the T-top pulled off and hit the back of the car and broke into a million pcs. Left me with a nice scatch and an agurment with the tailgater behind me, who wanted money because glass hit his car. I told him it would not be stuck in your grill if you where not 4' from my bumper. Needless to say I need a passanger t-top.

OK the website you initially had for T-TOPS - CorvetteTTops.com - aka Harkema MotorSports out of Seattle Washington, is one of the best - but they have one of the most poorly designed websites -

Their Home page is misdirected somehow down under the link to 1978-1981 M-11312 off the left hand column. Any how their phone number is 206-553-9180 or their e-mail addy is: corvettettops@msn.com. Another company that I hear is great is Melrose, their website is: http://www.melroset-tops.com/. I would try these two location.

Hmmmm...... appears CorvettTTops has gone OUT of business - Harekma MotorSports isn't listed anymore and the phone number is disconnected. I'd still try Melrose though - they have a great reputation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom