Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-top into a convertible

KELLEY1

I have been wanting to do a 81 vert. conversion. I have searched many sites and still dont have a full knowledge of it before I begin:upthumbs. Are all 68-75 original parts the same? IE-Deck lids, hinges, latches, soft top frames and hard tops? Who sells the upper deck to fit the 81 style gas tank lid. Is there any braces that needs to be installed inside/outside of car? Will the body or windshield frame move when the t top bar is cut into? I know I can buy an older c3 vert., but I already have a 81, never will sell that car, and I love late c3 convertibles. I am sure someone on here has a wealth of knowledge about the conversion, and I hope they will go into detail what needs to be done to do it correctly. Thanks for the space! You may email me directly if you wish. I am also looking for used vert parts to help with the conversion. outlaw280@aol.com

Welcome to the CAC.

I do know that the roadsters had some additional braces installed under the dash.

I recall reading on one of the forums (maybe this one) about an outfit that does the conversion. I think they were located in the Southeast. Someone here can probably help you a lot more. Might try search for that info on here also. Good luck.

47e4_4.jpg

...Are all 68-75 original parts the same? IE-Deck lids, hinges, latches, soft top frames and hard tops?...

Essentially the same.

...Who sells the upper deck to fit the 81 style gas tank lid...

No one. You will need a 68-75 convertible rear surround panel and possibly the tank.

...Is there any braces that needs to be installed inside/outside of car?...

No braces, but your 81 underbody will not have provisions for the decklid springs.

...Will the body or windshield frame move when the t top bar is cut into?...

Not much. Windshield frame corners will change. T-top and convertible are different. You will also need a convertible windshield header.

You will need a pair of convertible door glasses if you want to have a functional folding top or fit a hard top.

The process from coupe to convertible is more involved than what you might think. Purchase an assembly instruction manual for any year convertibles were made and the 81 AIM. Compare the convertible build to your '81.

Personally, it would be a shame to hack up your '81.

Good luck.

:)

Just a thought... In this economy, you could buy a C3 Convertible for less than the money it will cost to convert your 81 into one. Think about it. You spend the same amount of money and end up with two Corvettes instead of one. It's a no-brainer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom