Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T Top Leak

racingundertaker

Corvette
1971 Pro Street Corvette
I am experiencing a leak with my t tops on my 73 Vette. It appears where the chrome t bar attaches to the rear of the coupe body the weatherstripping or caulking? has disintegrated, allowing water to trickle to the back, eventually running down either side of the interior. The water then escapes where the interior pieces come together at the top inside, dripping down onto the seat belt harness covers. Is there some type of weather stripping/permatex type caulk that is used on this area where the chrome t bar meets the rear body of the car? Hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but I don't want the back area of the rear window frame? to rot out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Havent had to repair mine (they got stolen too often to be old), but i'm pretty sure there are some out there that have..

TTT

:w
-Stefan

Put new gaskets on my 82 a year ago. Couple of points of interest:
Don't do in on a real hot day.(if you do make sure you're in the shade.)
Be fast. The contact cement takes hold and you can't move them once it's stuck.
Have a friend help hold the gaskets. Work your way around t-top in one direction.

Hope this helps.

Shaggy

I have the same problem on 69. It looks like caulking on the roof. I searched around (Eckler's, etc.) and can't find anything info.

Got caught in the rain once in two years and it leaked. Never had the problem again but it has not seen rain since that day.

:L

Just joking around....It's all in the seals. My brother bought a 71 new when I was a youngter and he had trouble back then with leaks. Back in the 60's and 70's T-tops and sun-roofs were known to leak...nature of the beast....just my .2 cents

:w

I am experiencing a leak with my t tops on my 73 Vette. It appears where the chrome t bar attaches to the rear of the coupe body the weatherstripping or caulking? has disintegrated, allowing water to trickle to the back, eventually running down either side of the interior. The water then escapes where the interior pieces come together at the top inside, dripping down onto the seat belt harness covers. Is there some type of weather stripping/permatex type caulk that is used on this area where the chrome t bar meets the rear body of the car? Hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but I don't want the back area of the rear window frame? to rot out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Here is a picture of my 73 t top, where the t bar attaches to the body. It appears there is some type of chaulking so the water does not run back into the body. It is solid, so is not a flexible chaulking. Might check with an auto body shop, they might know of a chaulking for fiberglass and metal. Mine was already painted when I purchased it.

My '69 has leaked from day 1. I've tried a number of different things to stop it. It still leaks, at this point I figure it always will! If you manage a cure, post it I think all of us with the early t-tops would love to know what it is.

I just carry a towel to put over my shoulders if I get caught in the rain.

Say, several years ago I had a similar problem. I removed the T-bar trim and the two chromed pieces that run from the T-bar to the rear top latch points. There is indeed a caulk-like sealant under these pieces. I had some left-over butyl window seal (used on fixed rear '73-'76 windows), and used some of that under the side pieces, and a touch between them and the T-bar trim. Voila! No leaks. Just be wary where you put it and use gloves - it's VERY sticky and difficult to remove. It stays plyable, and shouldn't dry out and crack in the future. All of the major parts suppliers have it, and I think even your local auto parts retailers may have it. Hope this helps!

The body shop supply houses have the butyl tape in 1/4 dia. I used it on my 73. Just put it under all the chrome mouldings.

Leaking T-Top

I've got the exact same problem with my '72. If you lift out the tray in the rear compartment behind the passenger seat, you may find a small wading pool, like I did.
My local vette body shop told me to take off all the chrome and use electrician's putty. I have the rear chrome strips off the car and each has a groove running the length of the underside. I rolled the putty into a small snake-like string and set it in the grooves. I'm also putting a string between the chrome strips across the fore/aft support bar that will fit under the chrome piece that runs from the windshield frame to the rear roof member. I'm hoping to get the car back together tonight and test it out. I'll let you know if it works.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom