Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: T-top Replacements - I'm confused!?!

Elliott

Corvette
1979 Midnight Blue Coupe
I just bought a 79 vette and it came with a set of mirored t-tops and the glass was marked PPG Solar Cool. One of them cracked and broke so I've been looking to replace them. My understanding was that there were two companies that made the glass; LOF and PPG (I presume an aftermarket company), and I presume from PPG's website that they patented the Solar Cool product. I went to order replacement t-tops and one vendor claimed their mirrored tops were LOF glass, but not Solar Cool, which made sense. Another vendor marketed their glass as Solar Cool and so I purchased them, only to discover on my shipping confirmation that the glass was LOF with no mention of Solar Cool. When I called and clarified they told me they absolutely were Solar Cool. I since have received the t-tops and may have to send them back because they do not mount flush to each other in the center.

How many companies are making replacement t-tops? One vendor told me there is only one. Is that true that they are all getting them from the same manufacturer? Even if so, is there more than one type of mirrored t-top product available? I am getting conflicting information somewhere and really don't know who to believe. Dave

The original tops were LOF and LAMINATED glass. Very prone to breakage.
The aftermarket tops are the PPG and TEMPERED glass, a bit more durable.
I would THINK anyone selling NEW tops are selling the PPG TEMPERED tops, tho there may be a few of the older sets floating around out there for big bucks.
I have the original tops on 3 of my Vettes and I put a set of the PPGs on my 78SA cause I like the added headroom over the painted.
I'll have to take a look at which says 'solar cool' and get back.
As for not fitting even in the center, they are somewhat adjustable with shims. Many folks are not happy with the way they fit higher up than the painted tops.

edit....see post 5 for corrections!

The original tops were LOF and LAMINATED glass. Very prone to breakage.
The aftermarket tops are the PPG and TEMPERED glass, a bit more durable.
I would THINK anyone selling NEW tops are selling the PPG TEMPERED tops, tho there may be a few of the older sets floating around out there for big bucks.
I have the original tops on 3 of my Vettes and I put a set of the PPGs on my 78SA cause I like the added headroom over the painted.
I'll have to take a look at which says 'solar cool' and get back.
As for not fitting even in the center, they are somewhat adjustable with shims. Many folks are not happy with the way they fit higher up than the painted tops.

The two vendors I've checked (and purchased from one) both said it is LOF glass. It's not what I wanted, or at least as I understood the difference, but was led to believe that is all that is available and what everyone is buying. Are you willing to share where you got the PPG tops and what they cost? I'd love to replace what I had.

As for the fit, it's not a shim issue. The glass is shaped differently so that one has a slight mound and isn't flush with the other and shims doesn't solve it. Planning to send them back.

Well, I would have bet I had PPG glass on my set of aftermarket, but they're NOT.
LOF, Grey, Tempered, Safety Float.

The originals are....
LOF, Blue, Laminated, Flo-lite

Out of curiousity I looked at the regular glass on my wife's daily driver...
PPG, Tempered, Flo-lite(nothing about 'solar cool')

Could the blue tops, not mirrored, be called 'solar cool'?

edit...my aftermarkets were from Ecklers back in 2003.

Well, I would have bet I had PPG glass on my set of aftermarket, but they're NOT.
LOF, Grey, Tempered, Safety Float.

The originals are....
LOF, Blue, Laminated, Flo-lite

Out of curiousity I looked at the regular glass on my wife's daily driver...
PPG, Tempered, Flo-lite(nothing about 'solar cool')

Could the blue tops, not mirrored, be called 'solar cool'?

edit...my aftermarkets were from Ecklers back in 2003.

My PPG tops that I need to replace are mirrored Solar Cool. I like the look of them better than the replacement because they don't have the black edging around the glass and, as you mentioned earlier, they don't stick up as much; a much cleaner look.

The replacements that I received that I will probably have to return are from Ecklers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom